Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Very Sick Salamander

vail

Reaction score
Hi, my salamander Paulie has been acting very strange. Last night, I got him up so I could feed him, (he eats small crickets and this is what he's always been eating, never had any problem with them) but this time he didn't beg for any like he usually does, although, he did eat one, but refused to eat anything else. He was also incredibly skinny and wrinkly and did not look well. A few days ago, he looked really fat in which I know assume he was bloated because I hadn't given him any food recently before then. Paulie also has had poop hanging out of him for at least a day. He's also been acting strange: sitting in odd positions, facing his head into a corner, opening his mouth really wide but never throwing up or anything. Sorry for such a long post, but I'm really concerned and I don't know what to do, please tell me if you know what's wrong and/or what I can do for him!! Thank you!!!!!!!!

Additional info:
He is a Colorado tiger salamander
I've had him for about a year- never had any problem
He's been eating small crickets and never had a problem with that either
Also don't know if he's a male or female, I just always say he's a boy
He doesn't live with any other animals

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Vail,

I am sorry to hear about your sick salamander. My first recommendation is to find a vet who sees herptiles in your area and have your animal seen by a medical professional. However, I appreciate that good amphibian vets are not found in all locales and even more rare is the vet well versed in caudate medicine, so it would be helpful if you could provide some information for us on how you have been housing the salamander, such as substrate, humidity, temperatures, etc. Also, since you feed crickets as a staple, do you dust them with any supplements? If so, how often? Are there any objects in the habitat that the salamander could have swallowed that may lead to a GI impaction? Have you collected any cage decorations from the wild or purchased second hand that may have introduced pathogens,or is everything store bought and amphibian appropriate?

To me it sounds as though the animal may be suffering from dehydration (if that is the primary cause or secondary I do not know), so it may be good to offer a deep water bowl with aged water. With axolotls, which are very close relatives of tiger salamanders, refrigeration can help them pass foreign objects as well as slow down pathogens without impeding the animal's immune system. To refrigerate, place the salamander in a tupperware that has a tight fitting lid and small air holes with damp paper towels as a substrate and some form of hiding spot, like more crumpled damp paper towels or clean, smooth pot shards. If this container is not opaque, wrap it in a towel or something that will block the light when you open the fridge door so your pet is not startled by the sudden light. Normal fridge temps should be OK, but if you have a really cold spot that freezes stuff, avoid that spot!

The more information you can provide the more likely we will be able to help you. If the animal is housed alone as you have said, then I think it less likely that a pathogen was introduced and more likely an issue with husbandry. But poor housing can weaken the immune system, too, so we still may be dealing with an infection of some kind.

HJ

vail

Reaction score
Hi Heather! Thanks for the reply!

I could not find any vets in my area that deal with amphibians, at least not at a reasonable price for me.

His cage is a fairly large tank with a screen top that I bought brand new. There is not much in there other than a water dish and a fake rock that he can hide in. The rock is intended for fish but I bought it brand new a rinsed it with water before using it. I use this "All living things Green moss" from pet smart so it can retain some moisture and so he can burrow into it. I've seen him get moss in his mouth and always spit it out, but it is possible he could have swallowed some. When I feed him, I do not sprinkle the crickets with anything and I feed him by hand with tweezers. I feed him usually 2 crickets, 3 times a week. I do not keep track of the humidity or the temperature but I try to keep my room cool for him. My room does not go over 74 degrees. I clean his cage and buy new moss usually once every month and clean his water dish whenever it looks like it needs cleaned.

(Here's a link to the moss I use: All Living Things® Green Reptile Moss | Substrate & Bedding | PetSmart )

I'll look into refrigerating!

Thanks!
Vail

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Does the package of moss state what kind of moss it actually is? If it is sphagnum, that is a problem as sphagnum moss tends to have a low pH and the acidity over time can cause health issues for amphibians. It may be wise to get your tiger sal out of it and on some damp paper towels until you can verify what the moss is. My favorite substrate for my salamanders is several inches of coco fiber mixed with organic potting soil. This gives a nice "dirt" that breaks down waste reasonably well and retains its shape for burrowing. I also use a "moisture gradient" by pouring aged water at one end of the habitat to the point I can form a ball out of the dirt without getting more than a few drips of water out of it. This method allows the animal to decide for itself how much moisture it wants to hang out in, because the opposite end will be much more dry.

I would also recommend a diet modification - crickets have a poor calcium/ phosphorus ratio and if they are the main staple then can lead to metabolic bone disease. Start dusting the crickets with a good calcium powder with every feeding. I like the Rep-Cal brand and use a 50/50 mix of their Reptile Calcium Powder with D3 mixed with their Herptivite Multivitamin and Mineral Powder supplement. I bought these off Amazon.com. But what I think is the best staple for salamanders are earthworms, because their nutritional profile is just about perfect for caudates. I buy my earthworms from the fishing and hunting section at a local store, like Walmart. Look for night crawlers and avoid red worms/ pan worms/ trout worms as many caudates won't eat these types of worms due to a foul secretion. Since variety is nice, keep feeding dusted crickets in addition to worms, but I think worms should be the staple.

And since we can't rule out a foreign body I think it still worth while to refrigerate the sal until it has a normal bowel movement and its skin looks a little more normal. Perhaps instead of just damp paper towels you could use slightly "soppy" towels, so there is plenty of moisture for the sal to soak up if it needs to.

I hope this helps and that you can get your little salamander healthy again! Let us know if you have any additional questions,

HJ

vail

Reaction score
Hi Heather!

The moss doesn't say what kind of moss it is. Odd isn't it? But I'll consider getting the coco fiber instead! I'll also try to get him a more nutritious diet. Thanks for all the information! He's in the fridge right now with some damp paper towels.

Thanks a ton!
Vail

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!