Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Adults with juvie?

Creepella

Reaction score
I have a juvie about 5 months old, in a 5 gal tank by itself for now. He/she is about 7 inches long now. I'd like to know at what size would it be safe to put it in with mature axies? I was thinking of adding the juvie to a 30 gal tank with two mature females.

Donna001

Reaction score
As a general rule, axolotls that are kept together should have less than 1 inch size difference between them. This is to avoid the larger one eating the smaller one. This is usually more of a problem with younger axolotls.
I wouldn't put a 7 inch juvenile in with mature axolotls, unless using a divider to separate them. This would also be quite important as your juvenile matures, just in case it is a male and you end up with an awful lot of unexpected eggs. :happy:

Creepella

Reaction score
As a general rule, axolotls that are kept together should have less than 1 inch size difference between them. This is to avoid the larger one eating the smaller one. This is usually more of a problem with younger axolotls.
I wouldn't put a 7 inch juvenile in with mature axolotls, unless using a divider to separate them. This would also be quite important as your juvenile matures, just in case it is a male and you end up with an awful lot of unexpected eggs. :happy:

LOL that's why I have one mature in one tank separate from the other two. It's also why I have the juvenile in the first place! ;)

I think the juvie is OK in the tank he's in for now. Once he gets too big I'll move him to a 10 gal tank until I know his/her sex.

Donna001

Reaction score
With my three older axolotls, I collected them from somebody who needed to re-home them, and they were quite large already. They ended up in 3 separate tanks for a few weeks until they matured. Luckily they were all males, so they've all gone into the same tank. It was nice that they could be kept together as they had grown up together.
With my three juveniles,one is growing faster than the others, so that one may have to go into a separate tank soon.
:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1