Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help - Jabu has a deep scratch on his face!

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I came downstairs today to notice my biggest Axie (Jabu) frantically swimming and digging through the sand, even hitting the glass and trying to swim past it.
I got a look at his face and there's a chunk of skin almost torn away.. At first I thought it was his eye but then I realized it was right above his eye.
f643f73e16bf74602c7463c6274b23bc.jpg

I know it was caused by my log shaped tank ornament because I recently moved it and discovered it has a sharp edge.. It's since been taken out and there's nothing else that could damage either of my Axies.
I'm just wondering what my next move should be from here.. He was really stressed before but has since calmed down, and my biggest fear is that scrape getting infected.
Parameters are:
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrites: 0
Nitrate: 20
Low pH: 7.0
High pH: 7.4
Temp is 17.1 Celsius

I know the ammonia is a little high but I just did a large water change and I'm planning on retesting tomorrow. Seems like even though my tank is cycled I have a hard time keeping the ammonia at a solid 0!

Anyway, if anyone has any tips or advice for me and poor Jabu I'd really appreciate it! :(

Donna001

Reaction score
Poor Jabu, but these things happen.
You've removed the log ornament with the sharp edge and Jabu has calmed down, so that's all that you can do for now. I would suggest that just keeping the water parameters good and letting him heal would be the way forward.
Keep a close eye on him for any sign of infection. If he does get an infection I've noticed that there has been information on the forum about using untreated tap water rather than salt water for a bath, but perhaps it's best not to worry about that unless it is required.
See what the more experienced keepers say, but I'd think this might be one of the times that things will sort themselves out. :happy:

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
Poor Jabu, but these things happen.

You've removed the log ornament with the sharp edge and Jabu has calmed down, so that's all that you can do for now. I would suggest that just keeping the water parameters good and letting him heal would be the way forward.

Keep a close eye on him for any sign of infection. If he does get an infection I've noticed that there has been information on the forum about using untreated tap water rather than salt water for a bath, but perhaps it's best not to worry about that unless it is required.

See what the more experienced keepers say, but I'd think this might be one of the times that things will sort themselves out. :happy:

Thanks Donna! :)
He's been fine all day today and totally has his appetite back as well, doesn't seem one bit stressed! ❤️
And his wound even looks a little like it's starting to heal which is a huge relief to me.

Donna001

Reaction score
Well, you know how how good these little fellas are at healing. :happy:
Great to hear that Jabu is doing well.

solace93

Reaction score
Just curious about your water, does it always read ammonia? If your tank is cycled, it should only read 0. I wonder if maybe you are getting false ammonia readings from using certain water conditioners. I believe Prime is guilty of this. Or maybe your water contains nitrates right out of the tap so it only appears to be cycled. My own tap water always reads 10-20ppm.

Anyway, I'm sure he will be fine given the care you put into your axolotls. He is beautiful!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1