Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! My axolotl's gills has turned white and are rapidetly diminishing!

Iva

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum and also to the world of axolotls.
I have got a pair of axolotls a week ago. I have been checking water in the tank regulary and it was good. Nevertheless the aquarium store gave me beside bloodworms fish food and told me it was safe to give it to axolotls. They didn't eat it and when I came back the water smelled strange. So I did the complete change of water and I continued changing 40% of it every thay. Unfortunately the day after (yesterday) one of my axolotls started swimming near the top and his gills turned white. After reading different posts on forums I have suspected a fungus infection so I placed him in a big tupperware where I keep changing water twice a day and I also gave him a salt bath with pure NaCl yesterday evening and this morning. He stopped eating and seems no better. His gills have reduced and turned completely white except one. He brathes from the top from time to time. He also has a small wound on his leg covered with white. I will take him tomorrow to the vet. I tried to find the methylene blue but it seems it is out of use in France. What shall I do until tomorrow afternoon? Shell I fridge him and continue with salt baths (at the same temperature)? I desperately need an advice, I wand to help him, but I don't know how as I have no experience with this kind of animal. :(

Donna001

Reaction score
Hello Iva and welcome to the forum. :happy:
Please could you post your water parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature, and what water dechlorinator/conditioner you are using.
Please could you also post some pictures of your axolotl as that will help us to diagnose the problem.
It is possible that your axolotl does not have a fungus problem, it may be a water quality issue, and salt baths will not help that.

I don't know how much you have been told about axolotls, or the nitrogen cycle for your tank, so I have attached some links with information.
Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Silly Axolotls

I'm sorry if you have already been through this information, but I thought that it might be helpful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!