Tank cycling

CheerioAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will be getting a baby axie this summer (probably in two months or so) and I have seen a lot of different opinions about how long it takes to properly cycle a new tank. I have also read that you can use objects from a cycled tank to speed up the process, but as this is my first tank that's not really an option for me. I will have one axie in a 10 gallon tank. How long did it take you to cycle your tank, or how long do you think mine will take? Thanks! :D

To be fully stable, it will take several weeks to cycle. If you choose to cycle without a living creature in it, it will likely do a spike when you actually put your Axolotl in anyway.

You can buy a couple feed fish to cycle your tank, but this comes with it's own challenges. This is what I chose to do, and I ended up buying a new tank for my axolotl. Why? First of all, my feeder fish had a fin disease. I treated it and it seems to have disappeared, but in the back of my head I'm thinking: "What if they just built up immunities? What if they are still carriers and will give it to my axolotl?" And I've had my goldfish for eight months. Time to identify and treat diseases. You, with two months, might not have that opportunity. And that brings up another thing. What happens to the goldfish after you're done cycling? Are you going to keep it? Where? It's not a good idea to let your Axolotl eat it. I now have a 29 gallon tank for 7 goldfish, who are rapidly outgrowing it...

You can just let the water sit for a few days to a week (let all the chlorine evaporate) and then cycle your tank with your axolotl. But you'll have to watch the water parameters very carefully. This would however, be the quickest option. it would take a week or two.

Personally, I've decided to cycle my (new) tank with shrimp. Not sure if it'll work completely, but I figure it will lesson the impact when I put my axolotl in, and my axolotl can eat the shrimp safely. This way will take longer. A few weeks for the shrimp, and then put my axolotl in and it'll take another two weeks or so.

I have always done a tank cycle without any animals. I have attached some information on tank cycling, along with a step-by-step account of "fishless cycling" from a tropical fish forum that I have used. If you use the cycle discribed I think it requires ammonia at 4ppm for axolotl tanks, rather than the 3ppm described for a fish tank.
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
FISHLESS CYCLING - HOW TO DO IT | Think Fish Tropical Aquarium Forum

Best of luck with cycling your tank. It can sometimes be frustrating, but will give your axolotl a very good environment without exposing it to any of the toxins produced during cycling.

Please keep us posted on your progress and if you have any concerns or questions just post them and we will try to help.
:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back