Fire bellied newt breeding aggressiveness

thunder2000

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I am having problems with a female Cynops cyanurus that I am keeping in a tank with two other newts. The female is keeping one of her legs up as if it is injured and is being bitten and chased persistently by the male. The third newt stays on the land area and has little if any contact with the others. Both the male newt and the land dweller eat consistently however, the female has not been eating for a week. The female layed a few eggs a few weeks back but none of them appear like they are going to hatch. I know that most of this stuff is normal during breeding season but I am concerned about my female's leg and loss of appetite. Should she be separated from the male to give her a break?
Thank you

She might be stressed from the male if she's not eating or her injury. She should be eating like a pig if she's breeding. Maybe you can get a good look at her leg. If it's been bitten it could get infection. Might want to keep the water Xtra clean for her. I know my n.v.l have rough sex:cool: but they don't bite each other:nono:. I would separate them if there is biting ASAP easier then fighting infection. Is the one in the water keeping the other one out on land by being a bully.

Thanks for your help,
By the way when I try to feed my female she violently shakes her head while snapping her jaws. Is this a symptom for anything in particular or just just a very general sign of not eating?
Thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back