Question: Tank Temp? Too Warm?

Roxxy

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've finally got my tank set up (sort of, it's currently cycling w/o fish) but I noticed that no matter how hard I try it stays at a persistent 68 degrees (this is with a bubbler and a 7in desk fan blowing on it) I know my future axolotl would be more comfortable at around 66 but I can't seem to get it down. So my question is 68 too hot? It doesn't seem to flux any regardless of day/night. But it would be pointless to get an axolotl if the temp is going to stress it. Tired to include a pic of my tank (waters still murky bc I added the sand 3 days ago) Any help or advice would be appreciated
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 168
Have you tried keeping the hood off? If you allow the water to evaporate, it lowers the temperature of the tank. Thats how I keep my tanks cooler, I dont use a lid but I dont fill the tank up to the top to prevent them from jumping out. Additionally, you could get a screen top for it if you're worried about that.

I have thought about getting a screen top for it but it's super humid here and I'm worried the wall might start to mold. I looked at dehumidifiers but there're super expensive like chilliers (which are super out of my college student budget :p

I dont believe the tank would cause your walls to mold by using a screen top. The evaporation is no where near that extreme.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back