Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Cloudy Tank?

ChristinaHerne

Reaction score
I recently bought my Axolotl a new 20g tank and I know you're supposed to cycle them for at least 6 weeks. I had it running for about one week when he got a fungus. I moved him over thinking that it'd help and he is fungus free but the tank is now cloudy. Is that from not cycling it as long? Its the same filter I had in the last tank but I'm not quite sure what I can do now to help it. I give him a water change to try and freshen the water up but is there a product I can buy to help? (I've heard of tank starters that have bacteria in it?) I know I was wrong to not wait as long but I wanted to help him as much as I can. He is acting normal and eating normal its just the water is cloudy.

Thanks for the help!

ThisFish

Reaction score
What kind of substrate do you have? I know if you don't rinse sand before use it can make a cloudy tank. I'm kind of a beginner, this is a thought I had while reading this.

Sent from my Z828 using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1