Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salmon eggs?

Sarramy

Reaction score
My husband asked a question today that I don't think I've seen before. Can we feed our axies salmon eggs? Like from a bait shop.

Beardog1

Reaction score
Great question! I am curious about it as well. You would think that salmon eggs would have great nutritional value, and would be a fun treat for them

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I doubt they would be good food. Don't the bait shops usually have them packaged in preservative?

Sarramy

Reaction score
That's one of the things I'm not sure about. I've never been a fisher so I don't have experience with bait.

supergrappler

Reaction score
Not unless the salmon eggs are freshly harvested and free of chemicals. The ones from the bait shop are brined, dyed and as Michael stated packaged with preservatives.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1