Hello All

Pandemonia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Brandie new axolotls mama here.

We got our albino axolotl from someone who raised 2 from tadpole form. Evidently they didn't like each other and chaos ensued. So our "Amigo" is currently regenerating a foot.

Not entirely sure of his / her sex right now. Would love for him / her to have a companion. However, don't want further aggression.

Any tips on sexing would be appreciated, as well as tips for introducing a companion.

We're working hard at keeping his / her aquarium water in the 60's as well.

Obviously, I need to spend some time on forums, but any beginner tips would be lovely!

Hi Pandemonia and welcome to the forum. :happy:

There is lots of information available, see links below :-
Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander
Silly Axolotls

You won't be able to tell the sex of your axolotl until it matures.
Axolotls - Biology
Unfortunately this will not help you if you want another axolotl sooner rather than later. Axolotls being kept together should be approximately the same size (no more than 1 inch size difference) to avoid one becoming a filling meal for the other. It will also be worth using a divider in the tank to get the axolotls used to each other without risking any damage to either.

Best of luck with your new axolotl, please keep us posted on progress, and feel free to raise any issues or ask any questions that you have. There are a lot of vary experienced axolotl breeders/keepers on this forum (not me, I'm quite new too), and they will be more than happy to share their knowledge with you. :happy:

Thanks so much for your warm & informative welcome, Donna! :)

The former owner thought he / she was about 2 years old. Any sexing tips?

Thanks so much - the seperateo tip is especially appreciated. We're not in a huge rush to breed. He / she just looks really lonely! :)

If you look at the axolotls - biology link and scroll to the bottom of that page you will see two photos. The difference between male and female is shown with the pronounced cloaca on the male. I am absolutely rubbish at sexing axolotls, so when my 3 older ones matured I posted pictures of the appropriate regions and asked the forum users to help. All three were male and were put back together in the same tank.
All the people on the forum are always happy to look at pictures of axolotls and are happy to help with sexing. :happy:

Thank you again, Donna! We THINK he has "the buldge" -but of course, being newbies - not entirely sure! How old when you had yours evaluated?

I'm surprised - well...kinda sorta...that you were able to put the boys back together. In my half-assed research, it states that they get along - regardless of sex...yet this one and his brother / sister were at war - don't want that to happen! I thought that same-sex were more apt to tiff than opposite sex? Ah, so much to learn! :)

I don't really know how old mine were as I had got them from someone who needed to re-home them. As far as I'm aware they were probably just under a year old, and they were around 25cm long. The three of them had grown up together, so I was hoping that I would be able to keep them together without risking eggs etc. They are fine, occasionally they get a bit frisky and start pushing each other around the tank, laying spermatophores, etc. which can look a little disturbing, but in general they seem happy to share a hide or just laze around the tank.

Ha on the frisking! I wouldn't be bothered by that - I'm just concerned about limb amputation - which is what happened to ours via his sibling.

Thank you so much for your friendliness and information, Donna. It is much appreciated. :happy:

All Axolotls are cannibalistic to an extent, but it helps if they have grown up with other Axolotls so they are used to tank mates. Provide plenty of hides and space for them to be alone if they wish, and make sure they are both the same size give or take 1 inch. Also feed separately so accidents don't happen.

How long is your Axolotl from head to tail?

Husband is saying 7 1/2 inches. (I think he may be exaggurating - my snarky opinion.)

The axoloytl did evidently grow up from tadpole stage with an egg-mate, but they evidently didn't get along.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back