Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl shortage in Queensland

Sufia

Reaction score
Hi all,

I visited a pet store a couple of weekends ago where I was given mostly sound advice from the salesperson.

One thing he mentioned did astound me, and I wanted to know how much truth there is to it. Apparently there's been a shortage in axolotls (QLD only) due to breeding issues?

I find this particularly interesting seeing as Paul's Aquarium in Oxley seem to be selling axolotls prolifically...

Has anyone in QLD had any difficulties in purchasing an axolotl?

Thanks,
Sufia

Insolentfool

Reaction score
Hey, we bought our first axy a few years back, and then a couple years ago started trying to find a second one. The main supplier for queensland had apparently had a disease outbreak that wiped out most of their breeding stock. Even once their next generation came back they were using them to breed so it was hard getting specific colour/sex even when they did start coming back on the market.

They are definitely back on sale now, ive seen several stores with them locally. Your best time to buy them is now as pet stores avoid selling them in summer due to the heat. They cant handle it and tend to die off or get sick over 25c. people blame the pet stores and complain if their pet dies soon after purchase so they just sell in the colder months.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1