High pH but im supposed to get new axe today ???

snowbutton

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lexi
I have been cycling my tank with tap water for a while now but my pH is 8.2 .... I know that axes can live through 6.5 - 8.0 but is this too dangerous, if even only for a little while ?? Can i put pH reducer in the water while he is inside ???

Don't use pH adjusters. What are your other parameters?

In your other post you mention you have only been cycling your tank for one week. What method are you using? Are you dechlorinating your water? What are the other parameters? Have you read the links I gave in your other thread? Don't use PH adjusters.

Yes I just did a couple more tests; the ammonia came out to 0.25 ppm ( this is the morning after i got my new baby in the tank ) the pH has decreased to 8.0, the nitrate is 0 ppm, and the nitrate is 0 ppm.

I have been cycling the tank with a basic filter meant for my 30 gallon tank.

Right now there is no way of telling if i do have chlorine in the water

It takes weeks to establish a cycle. It doesn't appear from those results that a cycle has started to take place. Are you using a fishless method of cycling? Read through the links I provided in your other thread. Cycling does not happen by letting the tank sit with a filter running.

Most tap water contains chlorine, heavy metals and sometimes chloramine as well. It is important to dechlorinate tap water before adding to the aquarium as these chemicals can kill off the beneficial bacteria.

How can i cycle the water if my axe is already in it ? Can i remove him, replace the water with dechlorinated water, and put in plants ?

You can get the the powder call
API. Proper PH 7.0
It also works as dechlorinator. I use all the API product like ammo lock which is fantastic for water treatment, etc . My Axolotl seems to adjust to this brand very well. Their gills so relax and fluffy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back