Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sudden floating axolotl?

MarieKarma1311

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I got a new white albino axolotl about a week ago, he is about six inches long and has been very healthy while I've had him. Usually he spends his time laying on the bottom of the tank, he might walk around a little bit but has been very lazy and docile.

I last fed him blood worms two days ago, and was about to go prepare some more food for him today when I noticed that he was having problems staying at the bottom of the tank. He has been perfectly fine all day until now, his rear end is pulling him to the top of the tank and he is very unhappy about it.

He is not bloated at all, and I have no idea what prompted this. I could greatly use some tips on what to do, I hate to see him so stressed out! If he's still struggling in about five minutes I plan to remove him from the tank and put him into a shallow container so that he can still lay down. Not sure if I should still feed him? Please help!

auntiejude

Reaction score
He needs to poop, thats all.
At 6" he should be on earthworms, not bloodworms, that may account for the floaty bum.

MarieKarma1311

Reaction score
I am planning on getting earth worms soon but as of the moment I only have blood worms, poor thing wasn't even eating at the pet store I got him from. I'll wait and see if he produces any waist and calms down again. Thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1