Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank sizes and companion (for older axolotl)

KOsika

Reaction score
So my axolotl, Steve, is around 5 or 6 years old now. He's far outgrown his thank (roughly 24x12) and I'm looking at getting a new tank for him asap. But while I'm at it, I'm tossing around the idea of maybe getting a second axolotl. Purely a hypothetical idea, mind you, as I am in NO position (financially and space-wise) to be getting a second axolotl. It's just that if I'm going to be spending all this money on a bigger tank for one axolotl, why not pay a bit more for an even bigger setup that would have room for a possible second?

The thing I'm not sure about is how they'd even get along if (hypothetically) I got a second axolotl. Would my older axolotl be aggressive towards a newcomer, even if they were similar in size? Would the sex of the second axolotl matter? I don't know that I'd want a female, as I wouldn't want them breeding, but I don't know if there's aggression between male axolotls.

I won't get another axolotl until I know what might happen between them, and until I've moved out of my parent's house, but I like to plan in advance, just in case it's still something I want to do a few months from now.

What would a good tank size for Steve be now that he's older? I was thinking something around 30 gallons but I'm really not sure, as they come in so many long/tall/ect sizes. What if I were to have two? I assume I'd need something even bigger for two adult axolotls.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Donna001

Reaction score
I have attached some links which may help with tank size.
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Ambystoma mexicanum - Axolotl
Axolotls - Housing in Captivity
Silly Axolotls
I have 3 mature males in a 100cm/200L tank, and 3 juveniles in another tank the same size. The males have grown up together and there has rarely been a problem, apart from a tussle over a prawn a few moths ago. Occasionally they are all frisky at the same time, which can be a little disturbing, but there doesn't seem to be any aggression.
If introducing a new axolotl it must be of around the same size. I would suggest a male, unless you are prepared to deal with lots of eggs, and consider using a tank divider to keep them apart while they are getting used to each other.
I hope that this helps. :happy:

tipnatee

Reaction score
Male absolutely , and I never seen axolotl in the fight unless they are still in the caniblistic stage .. Any axolotl that's longer than 5 inches are cool ... Chill and the only time they get crazy together is when they get ... Well you know the mating ritual ... They just dance around ... They are lover not a fighter :cool:
And yes I also have 30gl tank that is more than perfect for 2 or more.

KOsika

Reaction score
Hm, I must've disable email notifications on here because I had no idea you both posted! Thanks so much for the links and the personal experiences! I knew they could be aggressive at a stage, but it sounds like they grow out of it.

I was gifted a nice 20 gallon long aquarium that we've fitted with slate floor tiles from Home Depot. Currently soaking the stone to make sure anything it leaches out whatever it wants to before I put Steve in it. I think he'll appreciate the additional few inches of space, at least until I can move out and start the hunt for even more room. Only the best for my little monster :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1