Notos? have morphed, substrate question

Lostfrog

Reaction score
Country
United States
Long story short, I had a couple newt eggs hitchhike a ride on some outdoor aquatic plants I ordered from Pennsylvania this spring. I kept the plants in my 10 gallon tank I was getting ready to break down until a late cold spell passed to put them outside. Got ready to break down that tank and saw two somethings moving around in there with four legs. I think they are Eastern Newts but not 100%. Thanks to this forum, I was able to figure out how to feed them and to get the heater out of there ASAP and a turtle dock in there when the gills started to shrink so my two little creatures and I thank you.

The one that hasn't morphed yet has yellow spots along the back, the other one that emerged yesterday onto the turtle dock is brown with little black spots like the other but no yellow spots. Is that usual or are they two different kinds? I would like to keep them aquatic. The one that has already morphed is back and forth in the water eating the black worms in the gravel. I lowered the 10 gallon half full of water, put a turtle dock in there for them and there is a large number of plants in there. I have been reading several posts concerning substrate and there seems to be some disagreement so I am very confused. I currently have that blue gravel for fish tanks in there because that was already in there. Will this variety get big enough to eat the gravel, most of what I'm reading is no gravel for Axolotl but they seem much bigger. I'm sorry, I have never dreamed of raising lizard like creatures, ever, but now that I have them, they are so cute! I am out of my element. I thought about going bare floor but worry about crashing my tank's biofilter taking the gravel out. Thought about play sand, but would the blackworms be ok in that and how do you vacuum sand? Wouldn't it be sucked up?

Pics are of the morphed one, the spotted one is camera shy. I hope I loaded the pictures correctly, the second photo wants to upload on its side for some reason but it's correct on my end. hmmmmmm?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1152.JPG
    IMG_1152.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 152
I love using river sand. Looks natural and it's slightly bigger than play sand. Ideal for plants as well and no risk regarding to impactation.

Yes, they are Eastern newts. I second the previous information, it's better to use river sand, just to be sure they don't get impacted, and an extra plus, with most tanks it looks better with sand and plants, but it's up to the owner. The care-sheet is here if you need: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Notophthalmus viridescens - Eastern Newt Thanks for reading, they are a beautiful species!

Thank you for your replies, I think I will move to sand. Side note, the second one with the spots crawled onto the turtle dock this morning.

Attachments

• img.jpg
    img.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 154
Also worth noting, once they fully morph, they may want a land area. If you see them only stay on the log, there's two things you can do. 1, you could move them to a terrestrial enclosure and supply it with plenty of small live foods, or you could make a separate container with around 4cm of water and cover the surface of the water in small plants like duckweed. These links go more into detail on both methods: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...8-difference-between-aquatic-terrestrial.html Caudata Culture Articles - Raising Juvenile Newts

Thank you both for such wonderful information! Great reading.

Curious, what is the best way to move them out of the tank while I scoop the gravel out and put the sand in, the old hand method or a fish net? I've never handled them, so far their only association is the turkey baster full of worms. I don't want them getting hurt or drowning.

For now, I'd probably use a fish net, just to be sure you don't damage them accidentally, or have anything on your hands

AW: Notos? have morphed, substrate question

Hi,

When my freshly morphed newts enter their sponge, I move them on the sponge to a tank with a terrestrial setup. Works fine here.

On the pics you can see freshly morphed Newts, the "transport" and one of my juvenile tank for Notophs. The soil is "jungle bedding"

Cheers,
Thomas

Attachments

• N_v_2015_4.jpg
    N_v_2015_4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 123
  • N_v_15_1.jpg
    N_v_15_1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 145
  • N_v_2015_13.jpg
    N_v_2015_13.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 131
It was easier than I thought, they were hanging out on top of some plants so I just moved everyone over while I changed out the tank. Thanks everyone, the little ones seem to like the set up. The blackworms don't burrow into the sand like they did the gravel, but hang out on top which I didn't expect. It makes is easier for the two newts to hunt them down and eat.
Thomas, that is a lot of newts! Great pics!
Sith, you were right, the sand looks great in there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back