Novice axie mom: filter issues; advice needed h

Alevens48

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys,

Looking for recommendations on filters. I just recently upgraded my ten gallon tank to a twenty gallon. I originally had an Aqueon 10 HOB filter inside my ten gallon which provided way too much of a current and stressed out my axolotl to a near death state. I've researched and purchased books on axolotls and have become more knowledgable in their sensitive housing requirements and changed my HOB filter to an internal spray bar filter and my axie lived happily(luckily). However, unfortunately the internal filter does not do the best at cleaning the water. Even with weekly water changes and feeding my axie outside in an external feeder tank, the water becames nasty quickly. Last night I tried placing my ten gallon filter and my internal filter inside my new 20 gallon tank. Even though I placed rocks in front of the filters output spout, my axies (two now ;) ) became extremely stressed ( gills forward/gill flaring/ curled tails). The internal filters do not do enough to keep the tank clear and clean like my HOB filter does. What kind of filters have you guys had luck with that both cleans well and doesn't stress your babies out? Water changes seem to be stressful for my axies so I'm trying to avoid performing them more than once a week?

Re: Novice axe mom: filter issues; advice needed h

Hi i like spong filters i will try to load a pic of one. You would need to find what one you need. They say they will fit from 10 gallon to 120 gallon. They have many different styles i got my filter of eBay for $3 . You can try to use some airline tubing to suck water in and out of your tank. It taks a long time but shouldn't stress your axolotl. I do it and it doesn't seem to bother my newts

Its not the best pic but that is the one i use in my ten gallon. I got it of ebay for $3 works great for me

Attachments

• 20160421_071753.jpg
    20160421_071753.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 204

Its not the best pic but that is the one i use in my ten gallon. I got it of ebay for $3 works great for me

I will give it a try thank you:) your babies seem to think its a toy :)

I personally use an Aquaclear 75 hang on the back filter for my 50 gallon long! :) I block the outflow with some extra filter sponges so it doesn't disturb my Axies (I have 4!) and it does a great job at keeping my water clean between weekly water changes!

Personally I use a Sun Sun Canister filter and it is perfect, I love this filter. It comes with everything you need and two different types of output flows: A spray bar and a Regular nozzle. It has a valve on the output tube to control the flow of the output. It has 4 different size filters in it and does an amazing job of cleaning. I highly recommend this filter. And for the price it makes it even better.

Link on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/TechnToy-HW-...t_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8NK22Z8Q678AHQBDTRYX

I have an Exo Terra Turtle Bank - its a magnetic floating turtle dock that I put under my HOB flow and it works great. They come in 3 different sizes. There are other variations of the same concept, some are magnet held, some are help on with suction cups. But it works for me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back