New member, soon to be axolotl mom!

Marimonk

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there, guys!

My name is Tessa, I'm a 20 year old student that studies wildlife biology and conservation in Ohio. Animals are my passion and I've always had a big, slimy place in my heart for salamanders. After a lot of research and finally talking my apartment manager into letting me get one- I'm ready to adopt my first axolotl. And I cannot stress enough how much this site has already helped me, seriously, you guys are the best!

Other stuff about me: I foster pet rats, I'm a plant freak, I cosplay and go to anime conventions, and I'm wiccan. I really like netflix, chai tea, taking naps and eating cereal.

That's about all I have to say. Thank you all for welcoming me to the site; I think I'm going to have a great stay. :D

Hi Tessa and welcome to the forum. :happy:
I also used this site as a guest for research purposes before getting my first axolotls. I agree that this forum is the best. The keepers and breeders that can be found here have a wealth of experience and knowledge that they are more than happy to share, especially with those of us who are quite new. As a much less experienced keeper I am mainly here for moral support and to calm the panics that all of us newbies have every time our little ones do something that we have never seen before (which is usually absolutely normal axolotl behaviour), whilst still learning about these amazing creatures. I admit that since I have joined this forum I have also developed an admiration for salamanders, but as I also live in a rental property with a no pet clause in the contract, which had to be renegotiated with the landlords, I have to contain myself to aquatic set ups. I am very happy with my 2 axolotl tanks and multiple fish tanks, and love looking at pictures of other peoples set ups and pets - that was a less than subtle hint to ask you to post lots of pictures of your first axolotl when you get it. :D

I will definitely be posting a lot of pictures, I'm so excited! I might even make a blog on tumblr just for that :) is the for sale area in the forum the only place people post their available axolotls?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back