Advice on juvenile axies please

Azrimic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the next few days I'm going to look at some juvenile axolotls (4 months old) and, hopefully, will be putting a deposit on 2 of them, until my set-up is ready.

The breeder has advised that I keep them in a "small tub to make it easier to do daily water changes". Is that right? I had been planning to put them into a 105litre tank (hence needing time to sort my set-up, for cycling etc). Should I not put them into that until they're bigger? I worry that in a "small tub" I won't be able to use a filter etc.

Any help and advice is much appreciated, as I want to make sure I do what's best for the little guys. Thanks.

Hi there! :)
Don't worry, the tub thing is totally normal and recommended! Putting them into an uncycled tank could be dangerous so it's best to cycle your tank before adding the Axies! :)
I kept mine in tubs for a few months before my tank was ready for them! You don't need a filter because you'll be changing the water every day, and replacing it with dechlorinated water.
Make sure you keep a lid on these tubs as well, they can be jumpers! Even a wire baking rack would work if you're worried about the containers getting too warm.
Good luck! :)

Thank you for the reply. I wasn't planning on bringing them home until the tank was set up and cycled, don't worry. How much water needs changing while they're in a tub (ie what percentage) and when can they go into their tank? What's the reasoning behind putting them in a small tub first? I'm guessing to be able to better keep an eye on what they're eating? I don't have any established tank water to do water changes with so would only be able to use tap water and a dechlorinator - would that be safe enough? What's the best age/size for a newbie axie keeper to get their first ones at? Sorry for all the questions.

If your tank is properly cycled you can put your axies straight in. 2 in a 100L tank will be fine.

I went to view the babies today. I chose 3 in the end (had only intended to get 2) and will be collecting them when I've got all their stuff.

I chose a golden albino, a leucistic with speckling and a wild-type who was quite pale with a gold head. In the below photo, my wild-type is the bottom one. I'm so excited!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 116
When buying sand, is fine sand better than course sand or does it not matter? Course sand as in the tiny, gritty sand that is much, much tinier than gravel but doesn't compact like fine sand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back