Chimera axolotl

Amerila

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure if I'm posting this to the correct place but I've been having this discussion lately with my family and I'm curious about what the community has to say.

Does a chimera axolotl have the potential of producing additional chimeras? Is it a gene that the siblings can carry or is it 'accidentally' produced?

I was lucky enough to have one in a batch of eggs that no one wanted to buy. The little guy just started to eat frozen food, but everyone has already started to discuss what we'll be doing with him. A family friend (who my mom promised chimeras to) is excited about getting them and selling chimeras that she bred from those.

So, what do you think? Accident or a passible gene?

First of all - lucky you to have a chimera; rare and often beautiful, we'd love to see photos :)

Secondly - no, I'm afraid you can't breed for chimerism. It's a 'freak' occurance resulting from 2 eggs fusing and doesn't happen other than when it 'happens to happen'.

However - there's a possibility that it may be a mosaic rather than a chimera, and mosaicism can be inherited. If you post some nice, clear photos we may be able to give an opinion as to whether your little one is more likely to be a chimera or a mosaic.

There is no such thing as a chimera axolotl - they are mosaics which result from a spontaneous mutation (rather than chimeras that are produced from 2 fused eggs).

As such, mosaics do not necessarily produce mosaic babies, but a pair of breeding axies who have produced mosaics are more likely to produce them again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back