Decorations

TeeJay

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Guys just have a thought that I would like to run by you guys. I am redesigning my tank and I want to get this new hiding rock for it. The only thing i am hesitant about is that the rock itself is a little rough. Kinda like a heavy grit sand paper. I know its okay for axolotls to be in a sand substrate so I didnt know if this was ok. Any thoughts or suggestions for other decorations would be great. :D

Here is a link to the item: Penn Plax Hide-Away Stackable Stone Aquarium Ornaments, Pack of 2 | Petco Store

I have something very similar, perhaps smaller, in some of my fish tanks. The stone is very rough, especially on the inside. Axolotls do have very delicate skin and I would not put this decor in my axolotl tanks.
I have only been keeping axolotl for 4 months, so not very experienced, so please get the opinions of some of the more experienced keepers.
:happy:

Some of the hides I have in my tanks are more like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KKQMPKC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/blue-ribbon-large-log-hide-21-x-13-x-11cm

I hope that helps. :happy:

The one from amazon is really close to what i want i would just need it bigger because i have a 20 gal 12in x24inx16in tank so it would probably be a little small. But i am looking for something that is stone and is semi-flat on the top so my axolotl can get up on top of it.

This is one of the other items I purchased.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002YJS02A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My axolotls like to climb on top of it to rest.
The only problem that I had was that the opening to the cave seemed a bit sharp on the inside and I was worried that they would cut themselves on it. This was resolved by applying aquatic sealant all of the way around the opening on the inside to ensure that there were no sharp edges. The gang seem quite happy with it. Just make sure that it is completely full of water when it is in the tank. :happy:

Attachments

• WIN_20160706_07_46_35_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20160706_07_46_35_Pro.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 117
Ok thanks thats cool one. Another idea you could have done to get rid of the sharp edge was use some sandpaper to smooth and round the edge. I will look into the other deco.
Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back