Question: Weird white coating inside of my tank

CaptainK1088

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, this is my first post on this website. I purchased two young axolotls from a reptile show in my area about two weeks ago. Since then I have done a water cycle twice. I added water conditioner each time, and maybe threw in about 5 ml more than required each time. My axolotls seem happy and healthy and are pretty active especially around feeding time. I give them a hunk of frozen blood worms and cut up a large night crawler into fourths daily. I am slightly concerned with the constant cloudiness of my water, even after water changes and cleaning up waste. But, my main concern is an odd, white, slimy, coating lining the inside walls of their tank. When I rub it off with my finger, chunks fall to the bottom. It does not seem to exist on their decor and hiding spots. I have a small filtration system and filter within. I tried doing some research on the matter before posting, and from what I've gathered it could be white algae, white fungus, or possibly residue from the water ager. Does anybody know exactly what this stuff is or had any expirience with this situation or how to take care of it? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new pets.

We need a lot more info to try to help you though. What size is you tank? And how old are your axolotls?

While you mentioned having done 2 cycles, I think perhaps you mean 2 water changes? A complete cycle takes many weeks, and is a big process. There is great info on the stickies up top on how to cycle a tank. You also need to test your water and provide us with those results, i.e. ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and temp.

Without any answers to those questions, my first thought would be to remove them from the tank, put them in a plastic container with fresh dechlorinated water, and do daily water changes, while doing a proper tank cycle. It's likely that the film is because your tank isn't cycled and ammonia and other bacteria are out of control right now and need to be cleaned out and properly cycled for the health of the axolotls.

What brand of dechlorinator/conditioner are you using? It sounds like either aloe residue or biofilm.

I think it's biofilm. I looked it up and watched a YouTube video on it. I think part of the problem is my water level and the way my filtration system only very gently moves the water. From what i've researched, axolotls do not particular like a lot of waves, bubbles, excessive water movement, because it can harm their gills. I'm going to clean it out today, do a water change, and add dechlorinator. I'll add a little less water to get a little more water movement as well and see how that goes. I posted a picture of my tank from yesterday just to give a visual. If you look at the tank you can see the white filmy slime on the inside gathering. My tank is a work in progress. I didn't intend on losing my job right after I got my axys, but once I get on my feet I'm going to add better decor and a sand substrate . It's a 35 gallon tank .

Attachments

• IMG_4046.jpg
    IMG_4046.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_4044.jpg
    IMG_4044.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back