Cooling my tank?

DarkWolf649

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two fans running in my room and I sometimes put cold water bottles in my axolotls tank but I cant keep it cool enough, and i feel like his tank is at dangerous temperatures I know it shouldnt be above 72 and the (stick on/sticker) thermometer i have says it is around 80 and it worries me. I am a teenager and do not have a job, so therefore have no money so I cant just go out and buy a chiller and whenever I ask my father about something he says it is fine and just doesnt care. Can you think of any ways I might be able to cool his tank down? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Idk if the pictures work but if they do im sorry for the **** quality, they were taken on my tablet.

Attachments

• 1468468636953.jpg
    1468468636953.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 1468468706468.jpg
    1468468706468.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 134
Also, im not sure whether the thermometer is truthful or not. The water does not feel 84 F but I am not sure. And I dont know why the pictures are upside down.

What size is your tank? If its not huge you can try to get a mesh cover or just open part of the lid and place a fan to run across the top of the tank, using evaporative cooling. This only works with smaller tanks, not large ones, and will only help a coule degrees, I believe. I've read about this, but not never done it personally. The problem you need to watch out for, is that they can occasionally jump out, so it would be wise to cover the opening with mesh to prevent that. Hope that helps.

I have a ten gallon tank, and I will look into getting a mesh lid. I have the hinged lid open right now to let more of the cooler air blow in but I guess I need to prop it up on something to blow it directly into the tank. Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back