Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A quick question

the axolotl boy

Reaction score
Hello.i am new to this forum and have had an axolotl since last christmas his name is steve.
is it okay to feed my axolotl one type of food? (axolotl food pellets)

Blackbun

Reaction score
That spends not only on what's on the pellet's label but also your philosophy.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I feed mine mostly salmon pellets and supplement with live blackworms, live earthworms, and frozen bloodworms.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I just leave them in the bottom. I feed only what they will eat in a couple hours.

tipnatee

Reaction score
I found that if your axolotl do eat the pellet that you gave them then you can successfully raise them with just that. As long as your pellet have complete diet all the supplement that your axolotl need I don't see the problem. I raise mine with live food , the good thing about live food mostly is the energy your axolotl has to given in to just to eating it. Kinda give my axolotl a muscular face :D. Axolotl do change shape with the diet they're given. If you like the way your axolotl looks now keep feeding it pellet.

Holly12

Reaction score
I'm sure he *can* live on just pellets, but that's not much fun is it? It's nice to give them a variety - earthworms, blood worms, krill (if he's big enough), phoenix worms. It rounds out the diet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1