Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How is this?

Holly12

Reaction score
Ok, long time keeper of all things reptilian, fishy and amphibious, but new to axies.

I am currently cycling a 20g long with an aqua clear 50 filter, (lots of media to slow the flow and it's turned down to just under half way, so will filter 80gph but not be so splashy, and I have a floating turtle dock under the output to further disperse the flow.) I can put sponge under the flow as well if needed.

Unheated tank. Black sand. Mesh lid to allow for evaporation and cooling. Real Driftwood, rocks, anubias Nana, anubias Nana petite, java fern, Wendelov java fern, java moss and marimo moss balls, (all anchored to wood and rocks so he can't uproot them, as well as duck weed for shade.) 4 small CFL bulbs of 10 watts each for the plants, but am going to raise the lights up off the tank a bit to lessen the brightness, and the ducked will provide shade. I can also put paper on the top of the tank to dim the lights - they did this at the pet store.

I've made hides out of the rocks and wood and have a water catch dish from a Terra cotta pot for a food dish. I have a baster and tongs for feeding and will get frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, night crawlers and I have sinking newt/salamander pellets.

Does all this sound right? Right now there's a heater in the tank because I'm cycling with guppies, but the heater and guppies will come out when the axolotl goes in. It sat at about 19 degrees with no heater and the ac unit next to it.

I used this wood in my tanks for years but it has been dry for about 4 years since taking down the tanks. It's leeching some tannins into the water now, that's why it looks yellow.

We have a uv filter and a water softener, so I use bypass water. It has 1ppm ammonia or chloramine in it, (we are on a self filling well,) that I use Prime to detoxify. My hope is that once the filter is cycled, along with the Prime, it will be able to handle the wonky water.

I also have a digital thermometer and a floating one.

Does it all look ok and sound right?

FB_IMG_1469130569260_zpshzjuzxfs.jpg

FB_IMG_1469130574020_zpski54rzzo.jpg

FB_IMG_1469130578475_zpss8i7rf6n.jpg

FB_IMG_1469130582428_zpszuxsjrpb.jpg

FB_IMG_1469130587849_zpsr2rcjivx.jpg

Kochebi

Reaction score
Hey there! Your tank actually looks awesome!
I'm not really the expert when it comes to well water in axolotl tanks, as I just use city tap water... But the only thing I noticed that seemed a bit off was you mentioned you had soft water. Axolotls like slightly harder water, so I'm not 100% if that will be a problem, but it might be something to consider. Outside of that, I see no problems! Once it's cycled I would say stay away from using prime in an axolotl tank. I think just using something that only dechlorinates is best, but I could be wrong. Oh, and if you're worried about them the tannins won't be a problem at all. Tannins are great for axie skin :D

Holly12

Reaction score
Hey there! Your tank actually looks awesome!
I'm not really the expert when it comes to well water in axolotl tanks, as I just use city tap water... But the only thing I noticed that seemed a bit off was you mentioned you had soft water. Axolotls like slightly harder water, so I'm not 100% if that will be a problem, but it might be something to consider. Outside of that, I see no problems! Once it's cycled I would say stay away from using prime in an axolotl tank. I think just using something that only dechlorinates is best, but I could be wrong. Oh, and if you're worried about them the tannins won't be a problem at all. Tannins are great for axie skin :D

Thanks for the response!!

The water from the bypass is hard and that's the water that I'm using. (Our tap water has been uv filtered and softened.)

Prime isn't good for axies? It's a dechlorinator and also detoxifies ammonia if it's present.

Kochebi

Reaction score
Sounds good for the bypass water!

And like I said, I'm not 100% sure, so I would ask around. I think I was told that prime shouldn't be used for axololts, but, again, not sure. I just use a basic dechlorinator in my tanks and let the cycle maintain ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels, and then do water changes if anything seems off. And if you're worried about their slime coats or skin health adding about 1/2 dose of API freshwater tank salt seems to be a good thing, or at least it has been in my case.

Holly12

Reaction score
Sounds good for the bypass water!

And like I said, I'm not 100% sure, so I would ask around. I think I was told that prime shouldn't be used for axololts, but, again, not sure. I just use a basic dechlorinator in my tanks and let the cycle maintain ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels, and then do water changes if anything seems off. And if you're worried about their slime coats or skin health adding about 1/2 dose of API freshwater tank salt seems to be a good thing, or at least it has been in my case.

Awesome, thanks so much!! Maybe I will make a post about Prime.

Holly12

Reaction score
Is Prime dangerous?

Hey there!!

I made a post about my new set up in the "tanks/set up" section, and had mentioned using Prime as my dechlorinator. I am currently cycling my tank with guppies and have been using Prime.

It was suggested that I ask around about Prime being ok for Axies. If not, what shoukd I use. (I LOVE Prime, as it detoxifies ammonia and chloramine, which we have in our well water, so it has made an awesome dechlorinator thus far.) Will it hurt my axie? I used it in my tank with African dwarf frogs, and I think they have very similar skin.

Kochebi

Reaction score
No problem! I can't wait to see your little lotl in their new home!

Holly12

Reaction score
No problem! I can't wait to see your little lotl in their new home!

I do have some lava rock in the tank, because it's really good to use for anchoring plants, as the roots can invade the porous surface. Is this OK for the axie? I read no, but I had it in my African dwarf frogs tank and they were fine -I'm assuming very similar skin as they are 100% aquatic.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Is Prime dangerous?

Prime is fine :D

I've merged two of your posts so the answers should all be here.

Last edited:

Holly12

Reaction score

Prime is fine :D

I've merged two of your posts so the answers should all be here.

Thanks.

I also used lava rocks at the sides and to hold up the hide tops. At the sides it's to anchor plants. I used it with my African dwarf frogs. Is it dangerous for the axie?

Zalesa

Reaction score

Hey there!!

I made a post about my new set up in the "tanks/set up" section, and had mentioned using Prime as my dechlorinator. I am currently cycling my tank with guppies and have been using Prime.

It was suggested that I ask around about Prime being ok for Axies. If not, what shoukd I use. (I LOVE Prime, as it detoxifies ammonia and chloramine, which we have in our well water, so it has made an awesome dechlorinator thus far.) Will it hurt my axie? I used it in my tank with African dwarf frogs, and I think they have very similar skin.

I've heard it's bad for Axies too, because of the slime coat in there that's meant for fish only. For that reason, I use Prime for my fish tank only and a normal dechlorinator for my axie tank just to be on the safe side. However, some people, as one mentioned in a reply, have done it so I'd probably take their word over mine.

I do it just to be safe than sorry, and I also had a large bottle of dechlorinator I hadn't used because I switched to Prime that I needed to use.

I'd say if you have people saying they've used it and been successful with it, then it's a personal preference :D

Your tank is amazing, and I love all the live plants! I wanted to do a planted tank but never knew where to quite start. Good luck with your new axie baby, he looks heavily spoiled already :)

Lauryn

Holly12

Reaction score
Thanks!!!! I buried what lava rock I could while keeping the plant root beer the substrate, and replaced some lava rocks with Dragon stone. I don't want any cuts on the little guy.

Kochebi

Reaction score
As long as there are no obvious sharp bits on the lava rock, it should be fine. Axolotls are sensitive but not extremely so. I have plastic hamster houses as hides in my tanks because their cheap and the little nerds love hiding in them. They tend to not rub up against the edge or anything (not that the edges are sharp, they just worried me at first) as they don't often make sharp turns. And if you're really worried about anything sharp you could always sand it so it's smooth.

MommaK

Reaction score
!!! I never thought of furry hiders!!! So many more fun options for my new tank i have establishing!!!

Holly12

Reaction score
As long as there are no obvious sharp bits on the lava rock, it should be fine. Axolotls are sensitive but not extremely so. I have plastic hamster houses as hides in my tanks because their cheap and the little nerds love hiding in them. They tend to not rub up against the edge or anything (not that the edges are sharp, they just worried me at first) as they don't often make sharp turns. And if you're really worried about anything sharp you could always sand it so it's smooth.

Awesome, thanks!!

tipnatee

Reaction score
I have plastic hamster houses as hides in my tanks because their cheap and the little nerds love hiding in them. They tend to not rub up against the edge or anything (not that the edges are sharp, they just worried me at first) as they don't often make sharp turns. And if you're really worried about anything sharp you could always sand it so it's smooth.

Are you kidding me?? Omg I felt so guilty used hamster condo many years ago, cause no one said any things about it.. :eek: When I first started raising axie while trying to maximize the space inside the large tank . I found a connectable play hamster house and by connecting many sets together I created a whole city under water for them ... They such an explorer creature. .... Keeping it clean unfortunately is a bit**h :errr: Sadly I never kept any pictures cause I don't wanna get crucified for doing something to harmful axolotl. They looked so happy climbing in and around every corner like an aquatic hamster them self. :angel:

xxianxx

Reaction score
Nice tank, if you drop some elodea in there it will form a weed bed, axys love that. The only thing that would concern me is your water hardness, your using a water softener and have tannins leaching into the tank. You would be well advised to check the level, tannins in themselves shouldn't cause any probs but do drop ph

LoriML

Reaction score
I have well water and have used prime for years without incident. Works great for me.

Holly12

Reaction score
Nice tank, if you drop some elodea in there it will form a weed bed, axys love that. The only thing that would concern me is your water hardness, your using a water softener and have tannins leaching into the tank. You would be well advised to check the level, tannins in themselves shouldn't cause any probs but do drop ph

I'm using water from our bypass for the axie, so it never goes through the softener. It's fairly hard water. Definitely no water softener water going in the tank. :)

How do you sink Elodea? It always floats on me.

xxianxx

Reaction score
You can pin it under tank decor or just let it free float, it's good for providing overhead cover which the axys like

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1