Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Throwing up

Pow

Reaction score
Hi I just rescued an axolotl from somebody I know who didn't really take care of him right, he was kept in a 10 gal tank with no hides, substrate, or filter, the tank was very rarely cleaned and he was fed pellet food every other day or so. I put him in 46 gal tank with black sand one large hide and one small hide, 3 air stones and a 20 gal filter, hes one years old and 4 inches long, very skinny, and almost no gills(they've been growing back). But the biggest problem i'm having is he can't keep anything down, i started with chopped beef heart and he was only able to keep it down for about an hour, so then I tried brine shrimp but the same thing happened, I went to the store and got nightcrawlers and he couldn't keep it down so I cut it up into smaller chunks(about the size of his head) and he still threw it up. I've had 2 axolotls before but they never had any problems so i'm pretty lost on this one and would love any help I could get! Also I couldn't figure out how to add photos here so I just made an album on my profile

Caesar

Reaction score
I would try bloodworms, they're way smaller than the size of an axolotl's head. :eek: Make sure the water temperature isn't too low or he will have trouble digesting it.

Spencerr

Reaction score
i would imagine you're feeding him too much, if he's used to being fed every other day for a while his stomach probably shrank, try feeding him smaller amounts of food and slowly work up to how much he should be eating.

Donna001

Reaction score
He's a lovely looking little fella.
I agree with the others, small amounts of food a couple of times a day is probably more manageable for him.

Donna001

Reaction score
By the way, if you want to attach files to a post, just scroll down from the message text box to the "additional options" section and click on the "manage attachments" button. This will then let you choose files to attach to your message.
:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!