Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: My axie "Ivan" passed away yesterday. Need help figuring out why

Nirras

Reaction score
Hey all im new to these forums (as a poster)

Last saturday, i discovered that one of my axies were suffering from fungus and had red spots on gils and legs. I immediately put him in the fridge and continued with salt baths as instructed from many of the brilliant guides on this forum. However yesterday he passed away.

My three (alive) axies live in a 250Lt tank where the water condition checks out perfectly (i.e. neutral ph, 0 amonia, and a low nitrate). The water temperature however, is high due to warm wether and a very warm apartment. I can keep the temperature around 25 C. This is my main concern and i am investing in a water cooling system as i type.

I am now wondering what the reason for the death was, since it seemed i was doing everything right. I would like to be able to save my other axies if they ever happen to get fungus, but to be honoest im now quite scared of putting them in the fridge.

I have attached some pictures of my sick axie before he went away. Its a clear case of fungus but notice the red spots on the gills and back foot. is this sepsis ?

Thanks in advance for any help that can clearify the death.

Attachments

• 20160723_190955.jpg
    20160723_190955.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 20160723_191027.jpg
    20160723_191027.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 198
  • 20160723_191306.jpg
    20160723_191306.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 242

Caesar

Reaction score
I would say the death could be caused due to the high temperature. When my axolotl was in temperatures like that he developed a fungus on his tail somewhat similar looking to the one yours has. If all of your water parameters are fine including your water hardness then there shouldn't be a problem there.

Nirras

Reaction score
Hey Sam, thanks for your anwser. He died in the fridge though so i am confused to how it could die from the temperature? do u think he got another illness from the high water temps?

Caesar

Reaction score
Hey Sam, thanks for your anwser. He died in the fridge though so i am confused to how it could die from the temperature? do u think he got another illness from the high water temps?

Yeah even though you put him in the fridge he was exposed to the high temperatures beforehand and that's where he probably developed that fungus.

Zobug

Reaction score
I very much doubt that he died from fungus. Typically, high temperatures tend to cause a whole slew of problems for axolotls. The red spots and the quickness of his death point to a bacterial infection/septicemia, which can definitely be brought on by high temperature. Heat does a number on their natural defensive slime coat, stresses them out, as well as promotes bacterial blooms. I would be very careful with your other two and seriously consider investing in a chiller.

Nirras

Reaction score
Okay thanks a lot for your anwser. It really help claerify. Also i did not know that high temperatures could cause that much damage, thought it was "only" stress. Chiler is arriving any time soon. The three axies in the tank look fine, even though they are slightly inactive.

tipnatee

Reaction score
I guess the fridge was already too late and salt bath after heat stress just made it worse instead of good it ended up double the stress . I've been through same thing before long ago. There wasn't much that you could have done at that point. It was too late. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!