Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Planted Tanks?

Zalesa

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am very interested in doing a planted tank for my axolotl. I've read through a lot of forums posted here but all of it has mostly just been plant types and I'm still pretty clueless. I just don't know where to begin. I have the list of recommended cold water plants but I just don't know about the lighting. How long do you keep your lights on and is your axie bothered by it? Also, do you use CO2 or any ferts at all?

I've never done a planted tank before so I'm basically completely oblivious. If anyone would like to talk me through step by step you'd be amazzinngg lol.

Thanks a bunch!
Lauryn

Donna001

Reaction score
I changed my axolotl tanks from artificial plants to live plants last month. I have a sand substrate and used java fern and anubias sp. tied to the decor so that I didn't have to plant anything. None of the tank are in direct sunlight, and during the recent warm weather in the UK I didn't put the tank lights on as I had changed to mesh lids with fans to help with reducing the water temperature. The plants are growing, even with the low levels of light they are currently getting.
I did put the tanks lights on for a couple of hours a day before the weather got too warm. The axolotls didn't really appreciate this to start with, but got used to it quite quickly.
I have pictures of both tanks in my personal photo albums, if you want to have a look at my set ups.
:happy:

Dell

Reaction score
Hey,

For a planted tank there is a active discussion/website forum called plantedtank.net there is some really helpful info. They won't concentrate on axolotl of course but it's a great place to start for the planted part.

Zalesa

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the replies! I'll definitely check out both the album and the website :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1