Mysterious Death

de5ir331975

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum. I stumbled on yall when I was googling questions trying to figure out what happened to my precious Axie. Axie was a beautiful Leucistic axolotl. Ive had him almost 2 years. I moved in with my Fiancee a year and a half ago and he had this beautiful Large aquarium that wasnt being used, so Axie got a new home. He loved it and was flourishing in the new aquarium. He was getting so big. We started talking about getting another Axolotl and decided to go to the local reptile show in our home town. That was on the 9 of July. There we met this really nice guy who had bunches of Axolotls and frogs. He was very knowledgeable and gave us all kinds of good advice about introducing the new Female Golden gfp to our boy Axie. He asked us about Axie's habitat and i told him it was around a 75 gallon aquarium. We use tap water, we clean it and put fresh water in it about once a month. He was shocked that we have been using tap water for 2 years and not treating the water. He said his Axolotls would die within 24 hours if he put them in his tap water from his house. He asked about Axie's diet, I told him he eats night crawlers and rosey fish. He said that was fine but his Axolotls were raised on these pellets that are Lab created to give them all the nutrients they need. He said worms and fish are about 5-10% of his Axolotls food source. He gave us a free bag of pellets to try and told us not to feed Axie for a day or two so he would be real hungry and eat the pellets. He gave us his cad, said if they have eggs he would buy them from us and if we had any questions call him. (needless to say i cant find that freakin card anywhere!) So we get home and i decide to just go for it. I put a couple of trays of ice in the aquarium and dump Axies' new girlfriend (Goldie) in the tank. I was worried she might die since he said what he said about the water but she didnt. That was July 9th. They got along fine and they both ate great. Even the pellets. About a week later i noticed Axie acting strangely. More active then normal. I assumed it was all the attention he was getting from Goldie. Then about a week ago i thought he looked like he was more red than usual...This past weekend when i was feeding him, he ate his worms fine but i remember thinking he looks like hes gotten fatter. Then on the 25 2 days ago I dropped more pellets in the tank, Both Axie and Goldie ate them fine. Then yesterday i noticed the Aquarium had a white cloudy look to it. I turned the light on and seen Axie under the hide a hut dead. His skin was sloughing off (which was what was making the water white and cloudy) and when i turned him over his cloaca area was swollen and looked like it had busted open. I dont understand what could have happened. The only thing we changed in 2 years was introducing the adult female Axolotl and feeding him the pellets. We are so upset over this but more importantly i would really like to try to find out what happened so i dont make the same mistake again. Thanks for reading this and hope someone out there might know what i did wrong.
I am attaching a picture of his cloaca area, not sure if its suppose to look this way or not but this is the only visible thing that looks out of the ordinary to me.

Attachments

• 998988063.jpg
    998988063.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 237
Here they are on July 10th. Day after we got Goldie. Axie is on the right.

Attachments

• 2016071095203542.jpg
    2016071095203542.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 200
Sorry to hear about your axie. I will leave the actual scientific responses to the more knowledgeable members, but I am curious: how long did you quarantine the new axie for?

I'm sorry you lost your axie.
The primary cause of death is a bacterial infection - you can tell from the general swelling, the red open cloaca and the red belly.
2 obvious possibilities how this happened:
1. You didn't quarantine your new axie and it introduced a pathogen.
2. The addition of a new axie threw the cycle, and your axie was affected by poor water quality.
There are other possibilities, but with so many changes going on at once it's hard to pin down. When did you last test your water quality?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back