Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick axie

jayuce

Reaction score
My axolotl seems to have a rounder lower abdominal area as if it's swollowed something and got stuck, he starts swimming in his tank but looked to be weighed down by it.. help?

Donna001

Reaction score
Please could you provide the following information:-
Water parameter test results (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temperature)
Description of the tank - what substrate do you have? What could your axolotl have swallowed?
Please post some photos of your axolotl so that we can see the problem that you describe.

I'm still relatively new (<6 months) to keeping axolotls and can help you with the basics. There are a lot of very experienced keepers and breeders on the forum who will be able to help you with anything. :happy:

You don't say how long you've been keeping axolotls, and I have included a link to some information and articles that I found helpful.
Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander
http://sillyaxolotls.wixsite.com/sillyaxolotls
Apologies if you've had your axie for a while, and/or you've already seen all of this information. :happy:

jayuce

Reaction score
Very new to axie keeping, about a month.
I hadn't change any of his water.
He only got sick about a week ago he was very inactive.
I tea bathed him while i change his water. Got water tested everything fine ph about 7.8.
Ill send some photos soon.

tipnatee

Reaction score
Tea bath? Never use that one before , salt bath mostly .... Are you sure you don't use any gravel substrate in the tank? ( beside the rock that bigger than his head) and when you said you didn't change any water before the tea bath , how long was he in that unchanged water for? And how's the water temperature ? I try to my axolotl in below 70c water. Do you use water strip testing for level of nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, hard or soft water, alkaline? And if all in tank condition are perfect... Maybe the worse case scenerio ...kidney failure ...I pray not.:sick::nono:

ekocak

Reaction score
Also, water parameters can look "fine" before cycling really begins. When you first put water in, you're probably going to read zero across the board. As the nitrogen fixing bacteria multiply, you should see sequential spikes in Ammonia, Nitrite and then Nitrate. This is why a test kit is important. A normal tank usually takes 3 to 6 weeks to fully cycle. If the axolotl is in the tank during that time, an ammonia spike can damage the gills and cause other issues.

jayuce

Reaction score
I don't have him in the tank at the moment. Ive actually fridged him too see if anything comes out of him.
After tea bath he was more active it was just the rounder tummy slowing him down.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1