Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Will Apple Snail or Ghost Shrimp eat this leftover worm?

CaptainK1088

Reaction score
I have two young axolots, and so far they're very healthy and active. I feed them a frozen square of blood worms in the morning, and half of a large night crawler each night, and they eat it all no problem. My tank was getting pretty infested with biofilm, so I bought one ghost shrimp (I meant to get a few more than only one, thanks Petsmart) and one apple snail to help with some of the unnecessary garbage. My question is, will an apple snail or ghost shrimp clean up an old worm? I cut a rather large night crawler into thirds. The axolotls ate the 2/3, and I set the other in a decorative bowl in the tank in hopes something would eat it, but its still there. I thought snails were omnivores, but from what I researched that's wrong, they're mostly herb, and certain breeds are carn. Should I just take the worm out before it potentially rots and causes problems or should I leave it for my solo ghost shrimp who rarely gets a blood worm scrap?

valkyriemome

Reaction score
I'm NOT an expert! But I do tons of research and reading. From what I've read, the apple snail is a bad idea. The axies might eat it as they get bigger, and it can cause intestinal blockage. The ghost shrimp--they'll eat when they get around to it. But it will be dietary enrichment and shouldn't hurt them.
For the tank cleaning--this is what I do, and I don't know if it is "right" or not. My youngsters tend to be highly messy. I syphon their tank about every third day--only removing the amount of water necessary to get all the poop and food waste out. Then refill with conditioned water. As they get older, they make less mess!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!