Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hard water?

Holly12

Reaction score
Our water is hard....like......comes out of the faucet as a solid. Is that OK for an axie?

Aisling

Reaction score
Is there a such thing as too hard of water? I have a test kit that is showing the high end of the scale. The scale goes to 180 for general hardness and 240 in carbonate hardness.

Holly12

Reaction score
Kk, thanks.

My ph is also between 7.2 and 8 I believe. That's OK too?

Donna001

Reaction score
I live in an area with hard water - 17dH, 122mg/L Ca, 322ppm calcium carbonate.
I have had 6 axolotls for nearly 6 months and they seem to be fine with these water parameters.
Stability of conditions is important, and I have found that I have had to do more frequent water changes because the warm weather was causing an increase in evaporation, and increase in pH up to 8. I'm currently doing 20% water changes every other day to get everything closer to what comes out of the tap.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1