Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stressed Axolotl (Plus a few questions!)

Spencerr

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm worried that my axolotl might be stressed but I can't tell myself, so I came here to ask more experienced owners
spencerr-albums-rory-picture39327-a.jpg
There's a picture of his gills, I'm worried that my filter may be causing too much water flow but I'm unsure. I've seen pictures with gills more curved than this but I just wanted to be safe, any help would be appreciated!

I have also noticed that one of his gills branches off, if you look in this picture, its the middle one, I'm not sure if this is something I should be concerned about or not, I haven't seen pictures of any other axolotl with a gill that branches like that.
39326-a

Any help is appreciated, thank you very much!!

Donna001

Reaction score
Does Rory have a curled tail tip?
His gills look ok to me, but if you are worried about the water flow you can always put some plants or decor in the way to reduce any flow.
As for branched gills, do you mean the middle gill on the right of the second picture? That's perfectly normal and is probably just regrowth after his gill being nipped/damaged when he was younger. 2 of mine have branched gills from previous injury.

Spencerr

Reaction score
His tail tip looks fine, its clear but i think that's because hes growing? I think I read that new tail skin grows in clear and darkens with time
And okay, I was hoping that he was okay, he has a few plants and decorations in his tank, I've seen a few people putting decorations under where the flow is to help stop it, once I get some money I plan on going to the store to improve his tank and help stop that some more! And okay, I didn't think it was an issue but id rather be safe than sorry!
Thank you so much for your help and your kind welcome! <3

Donna001

Reaction score
We all worry about our little ones. I've had my gang for less than 6 months, so I'm still quite new to this. That's what's so great about this forum, sometimes just sharing a worry is enough, and then there are the experienced breeders and keepers who have an amazing amount of knowledge and experience, and help with the more difficult stuff. It's awesome.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1