Dish Sponges and Axolotls

Carrots

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I'm preparing for my first Axolotl and I think I've hit a bit of a snag.

I was cleaning an old 10 gallon tank with a fresh ocelo dish sponge and vinegar when it occurred to me that the sponge I was using might have detergents or other harmful chemicals in it. I looked and sure enough it said, "Not for aquarium use." and "Resists bacterial odors"

It doesn't seem to have soap, and the label says it doesn't disinfect or kill bacteria, but I've heard that the antibacterial stuff on it and the fungicides are dangerous for aquatic animals, and that those chemicals linger in fish tanks without much way to get them out.

I didn't use it for too long (about ten minutes of scrubbing, and the sponge soaked in a little bit of water/vinegar for 30 min), but all the same I'm wondering if a few quick rinses should make the tank safe for use again? How do Axolotls react to these chemicals? Has anyone else used similar sponges to clean tanks?

I have no experience with this but I'm pretty sure you can bleach it. I think 1/4 cup bleach to 1 gallon water . Google it i have never done it

Yeah... no!

Remember that amphibians take their environment into themselves. Even vinegar is not such a good idea.

I use Alconox (get it here if you like) to clean my tanks, my test tubes, ANYthing that goes in my tanks. The reason is that this detergent rinses away (assuming you use distilled watewr - and you should) to nothing. No residue, no phosphates... no ions... nothing. We used it is chem-lab to clean all our test glassware.

I highly recommend it.

[edit]
I should mention that the bottle I linked will last you, your neighbors, your friends, half the state... a lifetime... Buy a pair of spray bottles too. One for the diluted detergent, the other for distilled water. Mark them both clearly and do not mix them up.

I kind of got pressured into just rinsing it out very thoroughly by my folks at home, and I've been cycling the tank for the past few days. Admittedly, no one I know has ever taken care of these sorts of animals, and I probably shouldn't have listened.

Do I need to throw everything out, sterilize it with the Alconox, and start over?

Oh hell no!
Just complete your cycling process.

However, you will want to get some of the detergent (as small a bottle as you can!) and begin collecting your glassware and instruments... You are caring for animals in a glass box. So the best way to deal with problems is to minimize them coming up in the 1st place.

Use the detergent on everything that goes into or comes out of the tank. Test kit tubes, bottles, plastic items (boil wooden ones and soak them until you KNOW there is nothing bad leeching out. Same with rocks (smooth River stones will be ok but boil them anyway).

None of this is news to you I should think. If it is, no worries. Just take the time to be clean and careful.

Hey so I put sponges on my filter jets to slow the water flow, but I realised I used the sponges with the green scouring pads on the top and I know these green particles shed. Should I leave it? My water parameters are fine but I used white vinegar to clean the tank, dried it with kitchen towel and then filled it up so do we think a partial water change would be an idea?
Mooncake really really wants her tank now she's getting big

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back