Spots?

Feathery

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have two axies in my tank, but the older of the two (my melanistic) seems to be developing spots? They don't appear to be ich as I had an outbreak of ich a year ago and these look completely different, and he seems to be the only creature in the tank that's getting them (usually if theres a sickness in the tank the tetras are the first to go, and the three i have in there now are fine).

My other axolotl also doesn't appear to be developing these spots. Toothless (the melanistic) has always had spots like these but recently been developing more?

There haven't been any recent changes to the tank, I haven't added in any new fish in months and the water tested fine when I last tested it about a week ago. Toothless is still eating as he normally does and seems about as active as he's always been.

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before and if I should be concerned or not.

axie_by_featheryspirit-daciy25.jpg

axie1_by_featheryspirit-daciy2i.jpg

It is not unusual for axolotls to develop more pigmentation as they get older. I have certainly seen it with my leucistics and wild types.
However, I'm still quite new to this, so it would be worth getting the opinion of a more experienced keeper.

It is possible that it could be a skin fungus. I would do a 25-50% water change and make sure that the water is at its best. And just keep an eye on the axie to make sure it doesnt develop any more spots or start having strange behavior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are your water temperatures at? That may contribute to a fungus

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back