Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt Q's

firebellyn00b

Reaction score
The recent outbreak of fungal disease AND the fact that I live in WA has made it almost impossible for me to obtain newts. I drove 50 miles and back yesterday, scoured through 6 Petcos and 4 PetsMarts and none of them carried any fire-bellies. So, I opted to visit alternative pet stores (private-owned/local) and NONE of them had any newts either. It's driving me insane--I also tried to opt for Eastern Newts from Ward's website (Yes, I was that desparate), but little did I know then that WA prohibits pretty much most, if not all, salamander species. So, I'm wondering if anyone is willing to sell me some Cynops orientalis? Or at the very least (if you are a washingtonian or know the area very well) point me to a store that carries them? I spent $200 on a 10 gallon tank, real plants, soil, gravel, logs, and rock--I would hate to have this vivarium go to waste :(

Also some other questions I have:
1) Are newts sensitive to warm temperatures? I heard the chinese variety are more sensitive to warm temperatures than the japanese fire-bellies
2) Would an A/Ced room be enough to keep stress levels down?
3) What do they eat?
4) If possible, what fish can co-exist with newts? I plan on doing this once I upgrade to a bigger tank
5) Problems with feeding when having fish as tankmates?
6) do newts burrow? I ask because I don't want them uprooting my plants.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks.

MaxsDad

Reaction score
Funny! I don't have any answers but just joined the forum for the same reason--my son wanted a pet Newt, we read up, sourced the tank and equipment, couldn't find any in pet stores, tried on-line (won't name the place but their system said they had them and accepted the order, then went dark... it was only through further research that I found out about the federal regulation taking effect barring interstate transportation/sales...). We're looking at switching to get an axolotl or two, they require a slightly different set up but close enough that we can adapt what we have. Good luck! My other plan was to see if anyone had newts in WA for sale/adoption, as that wouldn't be interstate so perhaps not banned.

firebellyn00b

Reaction score
Funny! I don't have any answers but just joined the forum for the same reason--my son wanted a pet Newt, we read up, sourced the tank and equipment, couldn't find any in pet stores, tried on-line (won't name the place but their system said they had them and accepted the order, then went dark... it was only through further research that I found out about the federal regulation taking effect barring interstate transportation/sales...). We're looking at switching to get an axolotl or two, they require a slightly different set up but close enough that we can adapt what we have. Good luck! My other plan was to see if anyone had newts in WA for sale/adoption, as that wouldn't be interstate so perhaps not banned.
unfortunately i dont know anyone down here that sells or breeds amphibians; otherwise i'd buy from them and refer you. Good luck on your axolotl (if you choose to adopt one rather than a newt).

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
i do not live in Washington so I can't help you there, and I am sure you are frustrated by this, but its a really good thing for newts that they are no longer in pet shops! Their rarity will hopefully prompt people to take better care of newts they are able to procure, and pet shops are notorious for providing and disseminating horrible care. I think as frustrated as you are in your inability to find some right now, I think the frustration of your preparation and expense would only be compounded by getting the inevitably sick newts found in a store. Captive bred from a reliable and caring source are so much better!

But I can help with some of your questions.

1. Yes, most species of newts are temperature sensitive, the "Chinese" variety (H. orientalis) being no exception. They will need water no warmer than about 68F, and cooler is better. The Japanese are a little more tolerant of warm temperatures but not by more than a few degrees.
2. As long as the A/C can keep water temps below 68F, then yes :)
3) Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates
4) Fish and newts do not mix. Newts are very stressed by the presence of fish and in the wild newts vacate bodies of water that are inhabited by fish, and most fish need warmer temperatures than what newts can tolerate. However, white cloud mountain minnows can do OK, but I (and most other successfull newt keepers) see no point in doing so, as it is not ideal for either species involved.
5) I have never kept fish and newts together, so can't comment on this.
6) As long as they have adequate amounts of plants to hide in, newts won't burrow. However, when I got my first newt (about 25 years ago) I listened to the pet shop I got her from and kept her in a sparse tank with just a little bit of gravel and a large rock for her to haul out on (this was supposed to make tank maintenance "easier"). This set up was NOT ideal, and my poor newt was so stressed she did burrow under the rock to hide. This scarred up her face pretty good, and she bore the mark of this for the rest of her life (she died just a few years ago, Nov. 2014). I luckily learned that she could do with better housing and she was very happy in a heavily planted aquarium and never burrowed again, and I have never had another newt do this. I do think axies wreck havoc with plants, though, and maybe Spanish Ribber Newts, too, so be forewarned!

Best of luck and I hope this helps!

HJ

firebellyn00b

Reaction score
buying from a breeder was my first choice, but the lack of them in my area hasn't given me this opportunity--i only searched pet stores because those were my last alternatives. employees were nice enough to point me to a couple of stores that specialize in reptiles, but i haven't found any that carry newts.

edit: thanks for answering my questions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1