Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Live Plants

Aisling

Reaction score
I have sand as a substrate and I'm wondering what plants I can use. I know I can use anubias sp and I plan on getting that one but I'm wondering about java ferns, would I be able to get one? No big deal if it won't work with sand just that I really like the look of those too. Or should I just get one?

Donna001

Reaction score
Java fern can be tied to decor, the same as anubias sp. I have several of both in my axolotl tanks and they are all doing fine.

Aisling

Reaction score
Java fern can be tied to decor, the same as anubias sp. I have several of both in my axolotl tanks and they are all doing fine.
Thank you! I really love the way those ferns look so I'm glad I can get that too. I plan on getting both now. After I read how to take care of them some more. They seem pretty easy to take care of from what I've read about them already.

Last edited:

Holly12

Reaction score
I have sand as a substrate and I'm wondering what plants I can use. I know I can use anubias sp and I plan on getting that one but I'm wondering about java ferns, would I be able to get one? No big deal if it won't work with sand just that I really like the look of those too. Or should I just get one?

Java ferns, Wendelov Java ferns, java moss, duck weed, horn wort, marimo moss balls... all of these can be used with axies because they either float or can be anchored to rocks and wood.

Aisling

Reaction score
Oh my, though I'm going to stick with anubias and java fern and probably get a marimo moss ball too. A friend told me that axies like moving those around and I think that would be so cute watching an axie roll them around.

Holly12

Reaction score
Oh my, though I'm going to stick with anubias and java fern and probably get a marimo moss ball too. A friend told me that axies like moving those around and I think that would be so cute watching an axie roll them around.

This was after 5 mins of being in the tank. I think he likes it.

FB_IMG_1470706212614_zpskklqfvw2.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!