First axie, few questions.

Holly12

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just brought home my first axie!!

2 questions:

1. It's sitting on the bottom, flicking it's gills back and then back to normal. What does that mean?

2. It's 2-3" long with front legs (what is the approx age and when can it start to eat night crawlers instead of blood worms?)

Hello and welcome to the amazing world of owning an axolotl!

I personally have 5 axies, 4 juveniles and 1 adult. all of mine will flick their gills back and forth throughout the day. I think it might be a way for them to move oxygen through their gills but i'm not entirely sure myself, You should probably wait for a reply from a more experienced owner.

As for the age of your axolotl, they usually grow approximately an inch per month so your little guy should be around 3 months old. I began feeding my axolotl earth worms once they reached 4 inches in length. I have to cut my earth worms into 4 quarters since they are so big and i do still feed them frozen blood worms and feeder guppies every few days to give some variety to their diet.

Hope some of that info helps, and again congratulations on your new little guy! :happy:

Hello and welcome to the amazing world of owning an axolotl!

I personally have 5 axies, 4 juveniles and 1 adult. all of mine will flick their gills back and forth throughout the day. I think it might be a way for them to move oxygen through their gills but i'm not entirely sure myself, You should probably wait for a reply from a more experienced owner.

As for the age of your axolotl, they usually grow approximately an inch per month so your little guy should be around 3 months old. I began feeding my axolotl earth worms once they reached 4 inches in length. I have to cut my earth worms into 4 quarters since they are so big and i do still feed them frozen blood worms and feeder guppies every few days to give some variety to their diet.

Hope some of that info helps, and again congratulations on your new little guy! :happy:

Awesome, thanks so much!!!

I have frozen blood worms and mysis shrimp as well as newt/salamander pellets for now. I will start on night crawlers in a month or so.
He seems pretty happy and is exploring the tank all over. Even the chiller outflow doesn't bother him!! The chiller is set for 17 but the tank is at 19 right now (just hooked it up about 2 hours ago) so I hope it really does work to keep the tank around 17. Is 19 dangerous?

I think your little guy will be just fine, its been about 100 degrees F in my area almost every day for the last month and I've been able to keep my tanks at 68 - 72 F ( 20 - 22 C ) and all of my axies seem to be doing alright. They are all eating healthy, and moving around.

Since your axie is new he might have a brief adjustment period while everything is a little new and stressful from the move but he should be just fine. :happy:

Also if you are able it would be awesome to see a picture of him, its always exiting to see how other people keep their tanks and what their axolotls look like :p

I think your little guy will be just fine, its been about 100 degrees F in my area almost every day for the last month and I've been able to keep my tanks at 68 - 72 F ( 20 - 22 C ) and all of my axies seem to be doing alright. They are all eating healthy, and moving around.

Since your axie is new he might have a brief adjustment period while everything is a little new and stressful from the move but he should be just fine. :happy:

So, a permanent temperature of 19 is ok?

Here's he set up:

FB_IMG_1470705830946_zpss2elkkkb.jpg

And here "he/she" is:

FB_IMG_1470704274095_zpssbr1mm2e.jpg

FB_IMG_1470704268429_zps5o3o0ogr.jpg

FB_IMG_1470704255951_zpsgaaixcib.jpg

And here it is, riding a moss ball, onwards to freedom and glory!

FB_IMG_1470706212614_zpskklqfvw2.jpg

Yes that temp is perfectly fine.

Your axolotl is absolutely adorable! i love his little freckles and his set up is amazing. you have a beautiful tank and he has a fabulous home :happy:

Yes that temp is perfectly fine.

Your axolotl is absolutely adorable! i love his little freckles and his set up is amazing. you have a beautiful tank and he has a fabulous home :happy:

Awww thanks so much!! :) I love the freckles too!!! I managed to get a few more pics.

We bought a chiller but I have to return it. It's been running g for 4.5 hours and hasn't dropped the tank even half a degree. :( just my luck to get the broken one.
I also think one back leg may be injured... the toes look stuck together and he doesn't move it much. Just holds it to his side.

FB_IMG_1470709815302_zpsukodfalm.jpg

FB_IMG_1470709833002_zpsi54b9bo5.jpg

If you don't mind me asking - what kind of chiller is it? I don't mean the brand just size and model.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking - what kind of chiller is it? I don't mean the brand just size and model.

Chill Solutions Thermoelectric Aquarium Chiller - CSXC-1 (rated for aquariums up to 30 gallons.)

Ok, I was only asking because I know some take up to 24hrs or more before you can measure a difference. I'm sorry I'm not familiar with that one but maybe someone else is and will chime in.

Ok, I was only asking because I know some take up to 24hrs or more before you can measure a difference. I'm sorry I'm not familiar with that one but maybe someone else is and will chime in.

Oh interesting! I didn't know that!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back