Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl got sucked into gravel vac, help?

Boanoah

Reaction score
Okay so I was using my gravel vac to clean up his left over food and poop [I do a sweep with it everyday] and normally he's really fine with the vac and doesn't do anything. Sometimes he'll even come over and try to eat some of the stuff being sucked up, I didn't think it was a problem, until today.

When I was doing the area near his food dish he put his face too close and in an instant he was sucked into the plastic pipe up to his back legs, I panicked and pressed the pump to try and blow him out but it only yanked him back in harder. So I yanked the pump apart to break suction and he ran away super quick into the corner of the tank, I noticed flesh rimming the plastic intake and of course gave him a look over. He has reddish bruising on his face and sides, a little but of gill damage but not much, and his entire upper fin on the torso was shredded, like it had been peeled from his spine. It's still attached at the rear and a little at the tip but for now he has tatters of fin, I don't want to stress him out so I guided him to his little hut and I've turned off the lights.

What do I do about the torn fin flesh? Should I just snip it off or would it be better to leave it attached as it is? I know about fridging and salt baths should he get sick or any fungus but I would rather avoid either possibility, so in this regard, do I amputate for safety or will it naturally deal with itself?

I feel so awful, as soon as he's up to eating again I'm going to give him some nice big earthworms to help boost his system but he looked so traumatized and shocked after the incident.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I do not have a camera but his injuries are pretty straight forward, scrapes, torn flesh, and bruises.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think at this point you should just let him heal, and after a week or so reassess his injuries before snipping anything.
Good luck and keep us posted. If you can post pictures, that would help.

Donna001

Reaction score
Keep your water parameters perfect to give him the best possible environment in which to start healing himself.
I agree with Otterwoman, reassess the injuries in around a week.

emdalliance

Reaction score
He will be fine. I had the same issue, literally had to yank the axolotl out, so scary! We have put all my Axies in a huge tub each anyway (60L) out of the tanks due to heat and she's fine and dandy.. she had all like "hickies" all over here where the suction had pulled blood to the surface of her skin.. that's all gone and she's all good! Just some gill damage (she had beautiful long gills, only has one long one left now ?) xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tipnatee

Reaction score
Axolotl have the quickest regeneration healing speed than any other animal . If you want the best healing result and less stress you have to keep him in cold temperature. Many people fridge their axolotl for the same reason cause cold and sterile environment can speed healing. It will claim your axolotl and slow his movement so the wound can heal. You also have to keep changing his water cause cold water relax axolotl including his bowel movement .

auntiejude

Reaction score
Many people fridge their axolotl for the same reason cause cold and sterile environment can speed healing. .
A fridge is not sterile, and fridge temp does not speed healing. Stop giving bad advice.

10C is supposed to be the optimum temp for healing axies, but cool clean water is all that is needed. He will heal on his own, please do not attempt to trim or amputate yourself.

emdalliance

Reaction score
A fridge is not sterile, and fridge temp does not speed healing. Stop giving bad advice.

10C is supposed to be the optimum temp for healing axies, but cool clean water is all that is needed. He will heal on his own, please do not attempt to trim or amputate yourself.

This is spot on. You don't have to fridge you axolotl to heal it, you shouldn't do that.

Fridges aren't sterile. If you performed a surgery in conditions that mimicked a fridge you'd have some pretty ill patients.

My axolotl who got sucked up and stuck in a siphon is just in clean water with every other day water changes.

I also rescued an adult axolotl who was completely missing a leg and his other three were bleeding and had bones sticking out. He's been in the same conditions - clean water, every other day water changes - and like the juvenile who was sucked up the siphon he's healed beautifully. All the cuts and scrapes are gone. His leg/foot is coming back nicely! That's all you need to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!