Temperature with chiller question.

Holly12

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I got my axie today and with the ac set for 20 degrees (68F), his tank sits at 19 (66F).

I bought a chiller today and have it set to go to 17 degrees (62F) but after running for 3 hours, it's still sitting at 19 (66F).

I've turned the chiller down further to see if that lowers anything, but if 19 is as low as I can get it, is that OK for an axie or will he eventually die? I'm hoping that in the winter when we have the heat on, it doesn't send the tank Temps up.....

Also, we turned down the chiller flow to its lowest, to reduce the current (it's doing g 80gph right now) but there's still some current. This little guy seems to enjoy current and light???? He keeps climbing on top of the floating turtle dock that I have to disperse filter output and sits under the lights..... what a goof!!!!!

I got my axie today and with the ac set for 20 degrees (68F), his tank sits at 19 (66F).

I bought a chiller today and have it set to go to 17 degrees (62F) but after running for 3 hours, it's still sitting at 19 (66F).

I've turned the chiller down further to see if that lowers anything, but if 19 is as low as I can get it, is that OK for an axie or will he eventually die? I'm hoping that in the winter when we have the heat on, it doesn't send the tank Temps up.....

Also, we turned down the chiller flow to its lowest, to reduce the current (it's doing g 80gph right now) but there's still some current. This little guy seems to enjoy current and light???? He keeps climbing on top of the floating turtle dock that I have to disperse filter output and sits under the lights..... what a goof!!!!!

19c is perfectly okay, from what I have heard. A lot of us on here keep our axolotls at that temperature it is just above the normal range (16-18c). Axoltols can't, however do well in temperatures in the mid 70's and up. So I think you're good. If your chiller isn't working, try a computer fan tilted down at the tank to increase evaporation. (It chilled my tank by 8/10 degrees F not C)! :happy:

If your chiller isn't working, make sure the HP is good enough for the size tank you have.

I have to have my AC on at around 65 F, have some fans going just to keep the tank below 20 C. If the AC is off, the tank goes to 23 C or higher apparently (in the evening). That's with the chiller and the fans -.-. Need a better chiller because my mom likes to turn the AC off, which is understandable.

Currently waiting for a better chiller to come in the mail. Hopefully soon. lol They said this is for a 20 gallon but it seems like it is for a 10 gallon for how well this thing is performing...(I have a 20 gallon).

I'm just hoping 19-20 is ok because in winter, the house is usually 20-22 degrees....

If you have a chiller I think you should be more than fine in the winter as your house won't be that hot to begin with. Did your chiller ever start working? :confused:

If you have a chiller I think you should be more than fine in the winter as your house won't be that hot to begin with. Did your chiller ever start working? :confused:

It did not. They had one more at the store and he tested it and that one didn't work either. He ordered one on Tuesday and it was supposed to come today and he was going to test it, but it didn't arrive. He put the order in again and it "should" be here Tuesday..... I have a feeling the chiller will be a no go and we will rely on fans.... that's why I was hoping that 20/21 max would be ok in winter.

If the chiller can keep the tank at or below 70 degrees F, you should be OK.

What size chiller did you get? The smallest one I could get was a 1/10HP for a 50g tank. It sure does the job!

ETA: I see that a chiller may not work out. If you can keep the tank at 20 degrees Celcius, I think your axolotl will be fine.

Was it an actual chiller with refrigerant or a peltier type chiller? I have the latter (Pacific Coast CL-85) and it can take a while to bring the temp down at first. Like half a day to a day. I have it set at 67F (the displayed temp on the chiller reads a couple degrees higher than the tank) and my temps are 64-66. It doesn't run continuously. Ambient room temps are 74-76F. I have a 20gal + 5 wet/dry acrylic tank. But its surrounded tightly by a wood cabinet and covered. I also wrapped the chiller hoses with rubber insulation from the home improvement store. The chillers can put off some heat too. So make sure that's directed away from the tank. I vent mine with a dryer vent from behind the tank, directing the hot air away.

Here's a pic of the insulation. Also that Coralife temp is 5° low. Those things are terrible.
424370581af97915212abe579de6e9ee.jpg

Not sure which type it was but it was set away from the tank so the heat would effect temps. Now that it's not so hot, I'm able to keep it between 17 and 18 with the ac, the big fan and two minis. A new chiller should be in in a few weeks and I will see how that goes. *fingers crossed.

Well done on keeping the temperture stable.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and your new chiller. :happy:

Thanks!!! If it ever actually gets here, lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back