Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl dying?

aegrum

Reaction score
Hello,

I have had my two axolotls for about 6 months, but today I panicked. One of my axolotl started looking very sick. He floats weird, vertically sometimes, he looks bloated, one of his gills is gone, and one gill has some weird slimy stuff around it.

I put him in the fridge and hope he'll recover but he just looks really bad. He also stopped eating.

What to do?

Donna001

Reaction score
Please could you post your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature) and, if possible, also some photos of your axolotl.

aegrum

Reaction score
I currently don't have a test kit available, soonest I can get one is on Saturday if the fish store has the right one (last time they did not). But he is in the fridge now. Should I try feeding him?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

He really looks dreadful. He hardly moves and has weird spots all over his body. I'm super worried, I don't know what to do. :(

Donna001

Reaction score
Your axolotl does look quite poorly.
He looks as if he has fungus on his gills.
In the first and second pictures I can see a white spot on his head, between his gills, but I don't know what it is. Perhaps one of the more experienced keepers will be able to give you more advice.
How long has it been since he has eaten?
It is very important to test the water. It might be worth ordering something like the API freshwater master test kit online, I find Amazon, etc. a bit cheaper than in the stores, and you can get next day delivery.
For fungus you could do a bath with tap water (do not use dechlorinator), or do a salt water bath. Tap water is said to be less irritating than salt water.
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...axolotl/72698-salt-bath-picture-tutorial.html

However, I do not know what the spots are, and we do not know if there is a problem with the tank water. I would certainly keep him out of the main tank and in a conatainer of clean dechlorinated water. Do 100% water changes daily on the container.

Also have a very close look at your other axolotl to make sure that one does not have any signs of fungus or anything else. If in doubt put the other one in a seperate container of dechlorinated water.

Fridging is usually for constpation/impaction, or as a last resort for other major problems, to slow the metabolism down. Just make sure that the fridge is not too cold.
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ick-axolotl/85263-axolotl-fridging-guide.html

As it is summer, and your little one is unwell, it might not be a bad idea to keep him in the fridge until you can get some more detailed advice from the more experienced keepers.

I'm sorry I can't identify the spots for you. I'm still relatively new to this and have had my gang for around 6 months too. I don't want to give you the wrong advice and make the situation worse.

If you do keep him in the fridge, make sure that any water changes etc. are with water that is the same temperature, as fluctuations in temperature will cause more stress.

Please keep us posted and I hope the others will be offering advice soon too.

Last edited:

aegrum

Reaction score
Thank you for your extensive message. Unfortunately, he died this night. His legs are in a weird position and he stopped moving. :(

aegrum

Reaction score
Thank you. I am going to check on him when I come home, but I am pretty confident he passed. I hope my other axolotl won't miss his buddy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!