Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worm size?

Azrimic

Reaction score
What size worms are ok for what size axolotls?

My 3 are about 5 - 5.5 months old. 2 of them are approximately 4 inches while the other is probably closer to 5. They currently get their worms (dendrobaena) chopped to lengths about the width of the smaller pair's mouths. I'm sure they could manage bigger but I'm by nature over-cautious rather than under-cautious.

What I was wondering is, when is it ok to give them whole, small, live worms?

And just because they're pretty...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 176

LoriML

Reaction score
That's probably a good size for them, depending on how fat the worms are. I don't typically feed whole earthworms at any age unless they happen to be fairly small/narrow. They have a harder time keeping them down if they're too big and wiggling, in my experience. The only ones I would do whole at that age are blackworms, for a treat, but the earthworms would be my main staple for 5.5 months.

auntiejude

Reaction score
You just need to gradually increase the size of the pieces until they can take whole worms. I have axies at 5-6" that can take a 8" worm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!