What is this??

Holly12

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What is this on the water surface? Water Paramus are great and we don't spray anything near the tank. It's not dust.... and I don't put my hands in the tank if I have lotion or anything on. Is this harmful?
20160811_202834_zpsc7nfr7vf.jpg

Fat grease mix with carbon dust from your filter maybe? Use air bubbles to break it down or skim the surface. You can buy water skimmer filter or just dunk empty plastic water bottle to catch just the water surface grease.;)

Fat grease mix with carbon dust from your filter maybe? Use air bubbles to break it down or skim the surface. You can buy water skimmer filter or just dunk empty plastic water bottle to catch just the water surface grease.;)

I'm not running carbon in the filter. What would fat grease be from? Can it impede oxygenation of the water?

It was suggested by a friend to put an air stone near the waters surface (so the bubbles don't disturb the axie) to help break up the surface a bit. She said turning a filter to a low flow can cause the top to get an oil slick when it's not moving as much and it can impede oxygenation. So, I put a stone in a back corner near the surface to help break up the surface water.

Does that seem logical?

Would this bother him?

20160811_234614_zps3bb9m7de.jpg

20160811_234606_zpsrdl78z5t.jpg

The airstone wont bother your axolotl. Some axolotls enjoy playing in the bubbles. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back