Sponge filter stressing axolotl

BrokkenBow

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi guys,
My axolotl has been in my tank for 2 weeks now, all is going well! However, lately I've been noticing that sometimes he would swim around to my sponge filter and it seems that the bubbles freak him out, causing him to thrash around violently, jumping out of the water and banging against the sides of the glass. He would eventually calm down but don't seem to remember that there's a sponge filter in the corner. Has anyone else noticed something similar? What are some ways I can combat this?
14011909_10154324582967557_199677128_n.jpg

PS. the heater in the tank is not on, don't worry.

Hi i cant tell if your sponge filter has telescope air release. I have used my filter like a waterfall so it runs on to my floating dock. It just ripples the top of the water a little bit. :D

Hi i cant tell if your sponge filter has telescope air release. I have used my filter like a waterfall so it runs on to my floating dock. It just ripples the top of the water a little bit. :D
Here's some pics for your own ideas.

Attachments

• 20160815_062929.jpg
    20160815_062929.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 524
  • 20160815_062816.jpg
    20160815_062816.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 466
  • 20160815_062644.jpg
    20160815_062644.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 580
I actually noticed my axolotls acting similarly the first time I plugged in my air pump with an air stone at the end. There was a number of other changes to my tank going on as well, such as me adding sand, so there were a number of reasons my axies could've been stressed. I recently plugged it back today, and so far all is well. I made a post myself, more concerned with water movement and the health of their gills. But their stress level is also a concern. I considered a sponge filter at one point too, but I'm suspicious of the amount of space I have left for them and their hides and swimming area. I also don't know how necessary it is, being I have a filtration system, but I do want them to have a better oxygen production, hence the air pump / air stone. I really don't have an exact answer for you, other than the fact that I have read (even on this website) that many people love their sponge filters with axolotls and have no problems. Here's a link: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...s-filters-substrate/79877-sponge-filters.html
I'll post updates if I find that my air pump causes a problem, since it is somewhat comparable to a sponge filter. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back