Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2nd axie?

the axolotl boy

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a second axolotl. Would it be okay to just put it in with my other axolotl Steve?

Holly12

Reaction score
Depends on the size of the tank and the size of the axolotl you are putting in with him. Don't put two axies in together in anything smaller than 40 gallons and they need to be roughly the same size or the smaller one will get eaten.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Any new animal you add to any tank should be quarantined for a minimum of a month unless you get it from a reputable breeder - just in case it's carrying anything contagious. I have heard of entire established tanks wiped out by the introduction of a sick newcomer.

tipnatee

Reaction score
This is just my opinion ( respectfully to other member). that is awesome idea if your axie has similar size with the new tank mate. ( don't have to be exactly the same just similar ;) And make sure you gave your new axie a good inspection, check for good slime coat , gills Heath, body movement for any sign of sickness before put them in together , I believe each axie deserve at least 15-20 gallon of water each axolotl. I house 2 of my breeder in 30 gallon tank cause I have a 100 gallon uv canister good old filter running. I housed them in bigger tank before but they seem to be much happier in this 30 gallon for some reason. ( maybe is the filter or the shape of the tank who knows.) it's all about water conditions I believe . I could be wrong but all I want is to see my axie always healthy and truly happy , and not to be fool by their 24/7 smiley face. Seriously that smiley face is contagious . How could you not getting more than one axie? :wacko:

the axolotl boy

Reaction score
This is just my opinion ( respectfully to other member). that is awesome idea if your axie has similar size with the new tank mate. ( don't have to be exactly the same just similar ;) And make sure you gave your new axie a good inspection, check for good slime coat , gills Heath, body movement for any sign of sickness before put them in together , I believe each axie deserve at least 15-20 gallon of water each axolotl. I house 2 of my breeder in 30 gallon tank cause I have a 100 gallon uv canister good old filter running. I housed them in bigger tank before but they seem to be much happier in this 30 gallon for some reason. ( maybe is the filter or the shape of the tank who knows.) it's all about water conditions I believe . I could be wrong but all I want is to see my axie always healthy and truly happy , and not to be fool by their 24/7 smiley face. Seriously that smiley face is contagious . How could you not getting more than one axie? :wacko:
thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1