Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Krill?

Holly12

Reaction score
Is Krill ok for Axies? I was going to get some frozen krill, rinse it to get the brine off and then chop it up. Just to get some variety in. Is that OK or can they not eat it?

Reaction score
Axolotls probably could tolerate being fed Krill occasionally, but I have not tried it. For some reason my brain revolts at the idea of feeding a saltwater animal to a freshwater animal! :D

Mine get fed mostly pellets from the now Kentucky Axolotl colony and occasionally blood worms or beef heart.

Holly12

Reaction score
I tried chopping some up really small and rinsing the brine off. He ate a few pieces. Probably not is favourite - his favorite are black soldier fly larva (phoenix worms.) He gets one a day with his pellets and either blood worms or mysis shrimp. I just started up a compost bin with red wigglers. When they start breeding I will move him onto those.

Donna001

Reaction score
I have not fed krill to my gang (all mature now) but they do occasionally get prawns as treats, which I soak in a bowl of warm water for at least half an hour to defrost them and remove as much salt as possible.
You already seem to be giving your little one a varied diet, so don't worry too much about adding to it.
It is a good idea to start a wormery. I haven't done that yet, but I have a very good local store that deals with fish, reptiles and amphibians, and they sell a range of live food, including earthworm, quite cheaply. :happy:

Holly12

Reaction score
We also have a beardie and I think she would like the worms too! He doesn't seem to enjoy the mysis shrimp or pellets anymore. He doesn't eat them. So, I guess for now, it's blood worms (and I will hide a few pellets in the bunch) u til he's onto red wigglers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1