Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

3 weeks not eaten. Help.

Jack Attack

Reaction score
My adult female has not eaten for almost 3 weeks. I don't know what to do?!
She had a couple of injuries caused by some aggressive live shrimps- which have been removed. They nibbled her gills to stumps and injured her foot. The foot and one side of her gills seem to be healing ok. The other side of her gills are still a bit stumpy.
She ate a couple of earth worms since then but now nothing. (I posted about it on here at the time)
I've tried all different types of food from earth worms, to blood worms and mussels but she's just not interested.
She had a phase last summer where she didn't eat for a couple of weeks. But this has been longer.
The water quality and temperature seem fine.
Should I be worried? What shall I do?!
I'm going away for a few days next week and worried about leaving her too!!

LoriML

Reaction score
I haven't followed your story but I'm curious of the entent of the injury (pictures are very helpful), as well as the exact parameters of your tank. You could be mission something with the tank, or perhaps there's a reason she's not healing quickly. What kind of worms are you trying to feed? Is it her normal diet that she's refusing?

Jack Attack

Reaction score
I'll try and post a picture.
I've tried all different types of food. I try and vary her diet anyway so I've been trying all the things.
She did actually eat a couple of blood worms this morning. But not nearly enough.
I've noticed that her tail is not as full now either. It looks a bit boney at the end. Is this from her loosing weight?

Reaction score
The thin tail could very well be from not eating for so long. Sorry, I am also not familiar with your axolotls journey after injury!

What is the exact temperature, PH, ammonia, and nitrates? A problem here could be contributing to your girls lack of appetite.

Fingers crossed your gal recovers!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1