Hi i am a new Axolotl owner

AxoNewMum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...

I am a new axolotl owner. My 2 axies arrived friday evening from a lovely guy named AxolotlChris who was very helpful with all my incessant questions before they arrived. They have a bare bottomed tank as they have always been used to it. I think i may have already learned that i overfed them yesterday morning with frozen bloodworms i gave them 2 cubes (defrosted first) so last night i didn't give them any pellets. Mine are around 4 months old i think the youngest might be about a week or 2 younger.
So far i feed them 2 times a day. Frozen bloodworms first thing in the morning about 7ish and then some small pellets in the late afternoon about 4:30ish as i work part time and have to leave after 5 on those days. I use a syringe to take away left over food and any waste.

I do have a question. Mine weren't originally used to each other as they came from 2 places but they have had a few run ins... My wildtype (Draco) touched faces today with my Leucistic (baby) and then proceeded to push her into the wall.... Is that bullying??
Baby to be fair did climb over Draco yesterday and rather nudged him out the way. I haven't seen any nipping or biting so far. So i am not sure if it's a friendly thing.
Also my Leucistic (Baby) keeps putting her bum up.. I think that may have been due to overfed as it is currently down now but does seem to keep going up a bit off the floor.

I keep finding small white eggs in one of the fake plants... Should i be worried as i didn't think they would lay eggs until atleast 5 or 6 months old? (Not sure which one did it)
I took the fake plant out and washed them all off.

what you witnessed was the "mating dance". The male need to put his tails up and lay the sperm caps around the tank then attemp to scoop the female over and placed her on his sperm caps. It's an odd ritual that they have to do every time they mate. And the eggs you found can be hatch to the axolotl babies . ( although first attemp might fail cause it's pre-mature) Are they about 7 inches or bigger? Because some axolotl can mature faster than other axolotl do to earlier diet possibly caniblistic when they were little, they can reach their maturity much faster than the one that didn't . 7-8 inches can be their first mating. If you don't want eggs you can just sell them, giveaway or clean off that's up to you. If you don't want them to mate again you must separate them till the moment has passed.:cool:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back