Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Temps or settling?

Holly12

Reaction score
When I got Stellios a week ago, he was all over the tank exploring, swimming, floating and eating like crazy!! (It was really hot out too so his tank reached 20.5 degrees.) I was also finding 3-4 poops a day.
This week, he's quite shy and hides a lot, rarely coming out and doesn't eat nearly as much as he was eating and won't eat mysis shrimp anymore. His temps are between 16.9 and 18.5 now. I'm lucky if I find 1 poop a day now.

Was it the higher temps that made him more active and eat more? Was it the newness of the tank and now he's settled in? There are no curled gills or tail.

AmandaB

Reaction score
When I got Stellios a week ago, he was all over the tank exploring, swimming, floating and eating like crazy!! (It was really hot out too so his tank reached 20.5 degrees.) I was also finding 3-4 poops a day.

This week, he's quite shy and hides a lot, rarely coming out and doesn't eat nearly as much as he was eating and won't eat mysis shrimp anymore. His temps are between 16.9 and 18.5 now. I'm lucky if I find 1 poop a day now.

Was it the higher temps that made him more active and eat more? Was it the newness of the tank and now he's settled in? There are no curled gills or tail.

Sounds to me like Stellios is settling into their new home nicely. On average they poop every other day because of the cooler temps in the water, their metabolism is a little slower.

As long as he's not showing signs of stress, sounds to me like he's adjusting to his new surroundings ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmandaB

Reaction score
Also, do you have a light on in the tank or is the room usually bright? I know they only like a little light. Could be why he's hiding? I put black Bristol board around my tank (instead if a back drop) to block out extra sunlight during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holly12

Reaction score
I do have low lights on for 8 hours a day because he has live plants. It didn't bother him the first week. He's trotting around a bit today. I guess he's just settling. I miss his silly swimming and coming to the glass to see us though.

Caesar

Reaction score
My axolotl poops once a day, sometimes even every other day. It is probably because he is growing bigger? He should be fine! As long as his stomach isn't too thin :D

Holly12

Reaction score
Definitely not skinny! He's got a booda!!! He does flick his gills a lot while he sits and hides. Is that normal?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1