Question: Marbled newts

paulvanh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 4 captive-bred marbled newts. Am I right in thinking I can't put them in my garden pond as they are not native to the UK?

Thanks

Paul

You can keep them in a secure, escape proof outdoor enclosure, but just releasing them into your garden is definitely illegal. They are very closely related to our native Crested newt, so even disregarding the spread of diseases, they can also hybridise as well.

Thanks, that is what I thought and I won't be doing that.

Is there somewhere I can get a couple of rescue smooth/palmate common newts for my wildlife pond in London?

It's the wrong time of year now, but ideally you need to either collect some eggs after getting permission from the land owner, or find someone who would post you some eggs from an existing garden population. If I were you I'd place a wanted add on here and anywhere else you think pond owners would see, that's how I got my Smooth newt colony started. I have even seen adds in the back of gardening mags in the past for native amphibian eggs.
To be clear though, this advice only applies to Smooth and Palmate newts. If you suspect there might also be Crested newts in the pond give it a wide berth, disturbing them in any way is against the law.

Thanks, that is really helpful. I will ask if anybody has any palmate eggs in the Spring but I am kind of hoping somebody might now or soon have a couple of palmate newts from a pond that is being removed from their garden, or that they know about.
Where can I put such an advert on caudata.org? In which section?

Paul

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back