How long to use a divider in the tank.

Dell

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey,

I have a 20g long with 1 6inch axolotl in it. I just added another 3 inch little one. I have a divider in the middle. I plan on upgrading to a 40g breeder soon, very soon. But I wanted to know at what point and size can these 2 go together w/o a divider? Do I need to wait till they are the exact same size or can I do it within an inch or so? I sure as heck don't want the little one to be eaten so I can wait, I was just gauging the time it will take.

Thx

Usually size difference of an inch or so is acceptable. It may also depend on the temperament of your larger axolotl, you may have to keep the tank divider for longer if your larger one is aggressive towards the smaller one.
Best of luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks Donna,

So this AM I found the little one had gotten through or around the barrier. I found them both on 1 side. I guess I just got lucky but the little one was not eaten. The bigger one is kinda of a well fed fatty so maybe that had something to do with it. I tried (evidently not hard enough) to secure the divider, I put rocks around the base on both sides but I guess the little one wedged through. Any suggestions? The divider is one of those plastic sheet w/ the holes in it that clip to the top of the tank types. Thanks,

Dell

If the holes are too small for your little one to get through then rocks at the bottom, and perhaps artificial plants (because they are less flexible) at the sides. This should help keep the little one on his own side. Could he have jumped over the top? It's unlikely, unless he was startled, but just check he can't get over. If there is still a problem you may have to consider attaching a fine plastic mesh to the divider to ensure your little one can't get through.

If the holes are too small for your little one to get through then rocks at the bottom, and perhaps artificial plants (because they are less flexible) at the sides. This should help keep the little one on his own side. Could he have jumped over the top? It's unlikely, unless he was startled, but just check he can't get over. If there is still a problem you may have to consider attaching a fine plastic mesh to the divider to ensure your little one can't get through.

Thanks Donna, Yeah the holes are super small, I think he got around the sides so I have scored those up and he hasn't gotten through since that first night. I don't think he went over it because it sits a few inches above the water line but I have heard that they like to crawl up mesh so maybe. I will cut it down and put a top on the tank just to be safe.

Thx,

Dell

Axolotls laugh at dividers, I have read many posts about people using them to prevent breeding and still ending up with eggs. Seperate tanks are best , particularly with such a size difference, the smaller one is snack size, don't make the mistake in thinking that your fat friendly axolotl is anything but a murderous git who may eat your smaller one if peckish.

Axolotls laugh at dividers, I have read many posts about people using them to prevent breeding and still ending up with eggs. Seperate tanks are best , particularly with such a size difference, the smaller one is snack size, don't make the mistake in thinking that your fat friendly axolotl is anything but a murderous git who may eat your smaller one if peckish.

Thanks, I actually put him/her in a different tank last night.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back